That Coulda Gone Better

Guess how Lulu found us the next day? In bed. Completely naked. I know I was out, until she started screaming. Last night….God. It was the best night I had ever had. And I don’t wanna be graphic or anything, but we couldn’t seem to make it out of my painfully small twin bed.

  I jolted up at the first high pitched yelp, looking around dazedly for the source. For a split, fearful second I thought it was my mom. But then I saw Lulu in the doorframe, hands slapped over her eyes. She was jumping up and down like a maniac, chanting rather religiously “ohmyGodohmyGodohmyGodohmyGod”

   I didn’t know if laughing at her was appropriate, given how very much bare Liam and I were tangled up in my black sheets. 

  “Lulu!” I said finally.

  She stopped hopping around, though kept her back to us. “Yeah…Got it. I’ll, uh…wait downstairs, I guess. I mean, shit. Unless you’re staying here instead, in which case I totally get, by the way….”

  I rubbed my forehead. “Lulu,” I said with a laugh. “I’m still coming over. Just….gimme a minute.”

  “I’ll give you five!” Lulu said, bolting down the stairs. I heard her call up obnoxiously, “You’re my hero!”

  I laughed, shaking my head at my crazy friend. I looked down at Liam, who looked dazed and confused. He was still half asleep. Glancing at my clock, I realized it was quarter to twelve. Aren’t country boys s’posed to be up at the crack of dawn? I thought amusingly.

  I sighed, running my hand through my tangled hair. “Well, I s’pose we hafta get up now.”

  Liam groaned, putting his arm over his eyes.

  I laughed softly, feeling an odd new sense of tenderness towards him. Weird how that went, right? I leaned down, playfully kissing his nose. “C’mon. Get up.”

  I started to get out of bed, but Liam caught my wrist, pulling me back down on top of him. “Hey,” he muttered with a sleepy voice and a sly smirk. “I didn’t say you could leave.”

  I laughed. “Liam, Lulu’s here.”

  He groaned again.

  “I know. Damn best friend,” I cursed lovingly.

  “Why’re you her hero?”

  I blushed. “A little bit of an inside joke.”

  Liam snorted, groaning again as he sat up. His eyes scanned my room and a second later he groaned again.

  “Yeah, your shirt’s downstairs,” I told him with a broad smile.

  He rubbed his hands down his face. “And so’s Lulu.”

  I nodded. “Yup. You’ll make her day, goin’ down there all shirtless.”

  Liam gave me a sidelong smirk. “Haha, Piper. You’re so funny.”

  I grinned, kissing him. “I know. I gotta go jump in the shower.”

  “Hey, I just had a stroke of genius.”

  “What’s that?”

  “You take the shower downstairs and I’ll take the one up here. Huh? What d’ya think?”

  I rolled my eyes. “Hmm…yeah, and while I’m down there I’ll just grab your shirt, too, yeah?”

  Liam shrugged. “I’m just thinking in terms of killing two birds with one stone.”

  I laughed. “Fine, you win.” I looked down at his hand still curled around my wrist. “But, uh, you’re gonna hafta to let go of me first.”