Birthday Slosh

Ah, to be eighteen. In all honesty, I felt no different. Well, I was fairly depressed considering I now had an unrestricted license, could legally buy cigarettes, could see rated R films in theaters, get a tattoo, and vote.

  Nothing from Liam. Two weeks. The whole ashamed of himself and pissed at me thing was just hysterical. I didn’t wanna talk to him, to be honest. It was his choice to react this way, but he could react that way without me; and that’s just what he chose. I didn’t try to call him, I didn’t go down to the barn. As far as I was concerned, he hated me.

  I wanted so badly to believe that wasn’t the case, but what if it was? What would I do if Liam hated me? Maybe if I had told him every day that I loved him, instead of just that once, this never would have happened. Maybe if I had talked to him right away I wouldn’t have lost my nerve and let so many days go by. Maybe it was all my fault.

  I went through days blaming myself to a point where I was physically sick. And the other days I spent creating arguments in my head, the things I would love to say to Liam if he got sassy with me.

  I was, once again, stuck in the middle of my own feelings. I hated that more than anything.

  But tonight, I shall get wasted with my friends and be merry!

  My parents had a pleasant surprise for me that morning. My mom made anchovy free waffles and nearly burnt bacon. Despite only wanting money, they bought me a brand new laptop—a good one, too; way too nice for receiving two hundred and fifty dollars as well.

  In the middle of breakfast, my hormonal mother burst into tears.

  “Mom,” I said, close to panicking. “Mom, what’s wrong?”

  “My baby is an adult!” she sobbed. Her entire face was red and wet in only a matter of seconds. She was full on sobbing like a baby.

  I didn’t know whether to laugh—not in a mean way—or cry, too. I got up to hug her. “Oh, Mama. It’ll be fine. What’s a number, anyway?”

  “A number is you being twenty-five, married, and having babies!” she continued to sob.

  My dad had his fist covering his mouth, but I could see his shoulders shaking in gentle amusement.

  I shot him a look. “Mom, I’m not getting married or knocked up anytime soon, okay?”

  She burst into another fit of tears. “That’s what you think now! You’ll be changing your mind in the next few years or so!”

  I did laugh, then. “Oh, Mama! I’m much too cynical for all that. Calm down, it’ll be alright.” I looked at my dad in distress.

  He cleared his throat. “Allison, you’re ruining it.”

  I glared at my dad. “Very helpful,” I mouthed.

  But my mom sniffled loudly, wiping her nose on her napkin. “You’re right. I’m sorry.” She looked up at me with her red face and tear filled eyes. She blubbered and I groaned inwardly. “You’re just such a good girl! I was never so good when I was your age. I was out of the house the day I turned eighteen.”

  “Mama, I’m not going anywhere….Well, not ‘till tomorrow, anyway.” I added quickly before she would be crying for hours, “But I’ll be back soon! I promise.”

  Mom nodded, cleaning her face up. “Your dad told me about Sooki. Thank God you’re not knocked up.”

  I started laughing then. “Mother! That’s so obscene!”

  Her eyes widened. “Oh, dear, you’re right. I’m sorry!”

  My dad joined in on my laughter. “Honey, she’s only teasing you.”