Lord and soldiers

Load Akira was pacing his study, staring at the maps laid out on his table

Doeksu still hasn't come back.

When he had first appeared, he had outsmarted and outfought his entire guard unit. He was a capable man. It was beginning to worry him more and more. As soon as the thought ran through his mind he knew, he wasn't alone.

He couldn't say how he knew, perhaps some vestigial part of the sence everyone possessed. As far as Akira was concerned, Doeksu was the only person who could reach his private quarters without alerting someone. Though the spark of hope was extinguished in an instant. Doeksu would announce himself. He turned and drew his own sword at lightning speed in fear of his own life.

A young adult, a girl, was leaning against a corner, studying the map Akira had just been looking at. Her robes were as dark as night, blending into the shadows.

The girl looked up at him. "Bad time?"

Akira held his sword steady and level. The girl looked unarmed and unaware of the weapon pointed at her head. He moved to attack while the girl just watched. Akira didn't know how to describe what happened next.

As he went to strike, it seemed like the girl blurred out of his sight.

The next thing he knew, the sword was out of his hand, and the backside of the blade pushed against his throat.

The blade was removed from his neck hand handed back to him. The girl wasn't here to kill him. If she was, she had just missed out on the best opportunity she could have got.

"I have some things to say."

The girl turned her gaze back to the map.

Akira struggled down his warring emotions. A small part of him felt like he should be angry. His palace infiltrated, his life threatened, spoken to like a peer of the young girl. Yet the greater part of him couldn't resist the sheer audacity of the girl and her complete lack of regard for court etiquette. It was a refreshing change from the sycophants and plotters he spent most of his days with. "Go ahead,"

"Doeksu has passed." She left no time for him to be shocked about this.

"He taught me for a bit. I'm a nightblade like he was."

She pulled out a leather-bound book from nowhere and pushed it along the table. It was the one Doeksu carried his reports and findings in.

A wave of understanding washed over the Lord.

Lord Akria had lost more than an ally. From the first day he had met Doeksu, he had made his position very clear with him. He was to use Akira just as Akira wanted to use him. There was no pretence, no hidden agenda. The man was not power-hungry.

As one of the three Lords, it had been a blessing. Akira had fathered no sons and plots against his reign arranged from subtle to silly. But almost everyone with ambition was trying to play some angle. Not Doeksu. He had come as straightforward as they do.