Rush

2 years later

2 years later

Jungkook was getting ready for bed. The gloom of the chilly evening crept into him like damp into bare timber. It seeped into his skin and travelled to his heart which beat steadily. Winter was only a few moons away, and the wooded hut didn't have much in terms of insulation, but it was better than outside.

It wouldn't be long until frost would take over. The trees were clinging on to the last of their leaves.

He shuffled further into his blanket, pulling it tighter around his body. As he got comfortable, he watched his friends busy about the hut. There was a calmness as everyone kept to themselves as they completed their nightly routines. He watched Jin bolt the door shut behind himself as he came in with a few spare blankets from the store they had built outside.

The blankets got passed about, and everyone began to settle down, candles were blown out, and darkness filled the room.

Jungkook stared up at the ceiling, listening out to the night. The wind howled. It sounded slightly haunting or icy cold. He wasn't sure which one was the best to describe it, but either way, it was he could hear, drowning out the sounds of shallow breaths. The odd sign and crinkling of sheets kept him up. Nobody had fallen asleep yet. They were all just pretending, waiting until they actually did. Jungkook had formed a bad habit of staying up until all six of his friends were asleep. Even if he tried to fall before them, it was no use Jungkooks mind simply wouldn't let him.

A hundred meters or so stood on the outside edge of their sense stood a girl. She traced the bark of the trees with each step she took, getting closer. (Y/n) knew that tensing against the shaking of her limbs was useless, but she did it instinctively, trying to suppress for a few more moments of what she knew she could not. The wind paused for a moment, and the howling stopped.

She needed to drink in the silence to counteract the nerves as they threatened to engulf her. This kind of thick quietness would normally chill Jungkook to the bone, especially on an inky night devoid of even moonlight or stars, but tonight it worked like a salve drawing him up. He felt it. The more absolute he was, the stronger its medicinal effect. They must off all felt it.

Her presence was overwhelmingly different from what he remembered. It was always kept close to her body, and only when you were close enough could you feel the power behind it.

But now, somewhere outside, the black tendrils were stretched out, wrapping around the hut and their body's. It felt the same but more controlled - like it was only there to bring them out. Jungkook obeyed, flung his covers off and stumbled to the door. His fingers hovered over the latch, waiting.

He had imagined it too many times. Jungkook wanted proof it was real.

He felt her presence pull back. Jungkook sensed it rush back against the web of life. It ran through him like a hand through the water, trailing over every inch of skin, leaving a trail of goosebumps.