Grassland birds

The afternoon crept in, and the land was bathed in a hauntingly beautiful glow

The afternoon crept in, and the land was bathed in a hauntingly beautiful glow. The sun, positioned just above the horizon, pierced through the gaps in the shifting clouds, casting beams of light across the hills. The rain had stopped for a moment. The autumn air had surrounded them with a cool embrace, carrying the scented aroma of fallen leaves and distant woodlands. Steps synchronised, creating a rhythm. Their path wound through hills of tall grass until the two nightblades stopped under a thin tree.

"Do you think he's here yet?" (Y/n) asked; she spoke in a hushed tone, her voice like a delicate whisper drifting in the air. She had been awfully quiet on the walk, too busy thinking.

Hoseok and (yn) both knew if she wanted to find out that desperately, she could have just used her sense; it was more a way of starting a conversation. Not that Hoseok minded; he had been waiting for the right moment to start speaking for the entirety of their walk. The only issue was he just needed to find the words. The last time he had been alone with (Y/n), they had only spoken about her father or somebody else had been. And now he had the chance to talk privately; the conversation swayed to the one thing they had in common.

"Probably; how are you planning on avoiding him?" Hoseok replied, his voice laden with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity. His eyes fixed on the field ahead. The tall grass stood, in the vast expanse of an untouched meadow, undulating in the gentle breeze. Each blade reached skyward as if yearning to touch the heavens above.

"Namjoon said he would take over the meetings," she spoke, her voice barely audible above the howl of the wind. Her eyes flickered as her hair whipped around her face, though she made no effort to hold her hair back.

As the name of Namjoon hung in the air, the atmosphere seemed to shift, and a sense of reverence enveloped the two. Hoseok couldn't help but feel a sting in his heart as he heard the name, a pang of emotion that caught him off guard. The mention of Namjoon's name left him in a whirlwind. The memory of seeing (y/n) with someone else in the meeting room flashed before Hoseok's eyes. The sight had stirred a mixture of jealousy and confusion within him. He couldn't quite understand why he felt that way, and it bothered him that he was affected by it so strongly. Namjoon was a friend and maybe even a brother – someone he admired for his intellect and leadership. But this sudden surge of emotion indicated that there might be something more beneath the surface.

The weight of the name Namjoon and (y/n) bore down on Hoseok's thoughts, and he found himself grappling with unanswered questions. Did he feel this way because of a more profound connection he had yet to realise? Or was it merely the discomfort of witnessing someone he had grown up with becoming close to someone else?

His brow furrowed slightly, "Is that what I walked in on?" The lines on his face betrayed a trace of something (y/n) couldn't quite read, a glimpse into the unspoken feeling that had settled upon him in the last few moments. (y/n)s eye widened; she didn't know he had seen that.