Chapter 28: An attack

We waited at the gates for the Kazekage to arrive so we could finish our mission with him. We had all went to sleep immediately after getting a hotel room so we could be well rested for the mission ahead.

"I wonder who he's bringing with him."

"Probably his siblings."

"Troublesome people." I sigh. Spotting three figures up ahead, Shino was correct. The Kazekage had his siblings Temari and Kankuro with him. They each had a bag packed that was resting on their shoulders.

"Look, there here." Kurenai smiled before turning to the three sand ninjas. "You three ready? We have at least a three day long journey ahead of us."

"If we move fast we can cut it to two."

"Shino!" I elbowed him in the gut.

"Ow- sorry Sakura."

"Shino you cant just say-"

"Its alright."

Huh!?

We turned to see Gaara looking blankly at us.

"We were hoping that we could travel faster anyway. Best not to be out in the open for a long time right now anyway." I nodded, letting my arm fall to my side.

"Shall we get going then?" Sensei spoke up.

"Hai sensei!" With my words, I moved behind the trio, while Shikamaru and Shino moved to each side. Kurenai Sensei stayed in the front to lead us the way.

"Alright, Sand Siblings, follow me and let me know if I'm going to fast okay?"

"Hai." And just like that, our journey began. Well the second half anyway.

~ One and a Half days later~

We stopped at a clearing to take a small break and regenerate our energy. Plus the sand siblings -as they have now been dubbed- look like they don't travel this far this fast often. Suddenly, I felt a strange sensation from a distance. A small chakra signature.

"Shikamaru."

"Huh?"

"Someone is close by."

"..."

"I don't recognize the chakra signature at all.. but its strong."

"Alright. Where is it headed?"

"Towards us.. slowly.. like their creeping up on us."

"Didn't Gaara mention that some of the villagers hated him because he had the one tailed beast sealed in him?"

"Hm.. we have a tail then. Trying to find the right moment."

"I agree." He shifted his gaze to me. "You never really did get to show off what you were made of back in the exams. Why don't you give it a whirl?"

"Hm.." I smirked at the thought. "Alright. I'll take them on, but you have to get as far away as possible. I'll catch up."

"Shino can get a bug to follow you, and lead you back to us. If we are forced to change direction of course. Otherwise we will take the shortest way to Konoha."

"Sounds good to me." I cracked my knuckles, already urging for this fight. I needed some exercise. Shikamaru nodded, then walked over to Shino. I took the time to study the chakra source. concentrating, I realized that their main chakra nature was fire. Water and mist techniques where my best options at defeating them. I looked around and watched a bug fly over to me. It flew into one of my pouches, and I knew they were about to head out.

"Alright everybody! Lets head out!" Everyone got into there original positions, while I stood there.

"Sakura..?" The gentle voice of Gaara asked. My head snapped towards him.

"Don't worry, I'll catch up! I got some stuff to take care of."

"..." He seemed to be thinking.

"I'll come with you. Besides, I need a break from these losers." Temari stepped forward and over next to me. From what I know of her, she seemed like a pretty cool person. Not too strong but strong enough, not genius but pretty smart too, especially in battle. We could probably get along pretty well. I gave a quick nod to Shikamaru, who gained everyone's attention by jumping onto the nearest tree branch. The other four soon followed, leaving us two behind.

"My name is Sakura Haruno. I hope we can be.. friends."

"I remember you from the exams, you seem pretty good, your chakra is very strong." I was surprised to hear that.

"You can sense chakra too!?"

"Yeah, not as good as you though, I didn't notice the chakra of that guy until I saw you and pineapple hair talking secretly." I let a smile cross my lips before turning around to the signature.

"Lets hide our chakra, we'll take care of him." She nodded, and we masked our chakras. We both jumped up into the nearby trees, waiting for the man to come in a ambush. I snuck over to Temari.

"Your fan."

"Hm?"

"When he sees no one here, he's going to try to keep up with them. Can you use your fan to create a wind forcing him to bounce back? I can then hit him with this." I pulled out a senbun needle, as she nodded. We swiftly moved into position.

Suddenly a figure was running into the tree where the rest of the team were setting off two. Just like planned, Temari was there with her fan. In a swift movement he started flying backward where I threw needles. Each needle hit a key point on the man. His neck, his shoulder, and one of his ankles. He quickly fell to the ground.

"Should we take him with us? Or let him die?"

"He will slow us down a tad.. but we could interrogate him. So lets take him." I grabbed him off the ground and carefully rested him on my shoulder.

"Lets go."