6. No Church For The Wild

The downfall to this dream starts with my past.

A past not long ago.

My black converse stomp across the moist dirt and crushed leaves, I walk aimlessly through the preserve. Humming quietly, a smile plastered on my face. I have no clue why I smile or why I hum, it seems not to be me doing it though. I don't feel like myself, even when I know I'm pushing my body through miles and miles of terrain I can still sense something else telling me to do it. The night sky is dark, almost black while the moon still shines with a glow. I feel at home there, even with so much space between civilization and I.

Then I arrive to a clearing, and it feels like all hell breaks loose. What amounts of animals I could hear running past me or crickets singing away stopped, and I came back. What sense of happiness and faith I had once towards this forest is gone, replaced by paranoia and fear. I look down at myself to notice I'm once again wearing the white top and sweats the alpha bit me in. How is this possible? I threw all this away days ago.

"What..." I trail off, standing in the middle of the one spot with open sky, directly underneath the moonlight.

I can't finish my comment because crying and screaming ensues, so loud it rings in my ears and drops me to the ground. My knees scrape against the floor roughly.

"Please stop," I scream," stop it!"

But it doesn't, it goes on and on until I've felt tears drop relentlessly on the ground and my body start to shake with sobs.

It's then I notice and pay attention to the yells and cries.

Everyone I know.

All of them.

Screaming in agony like they are being torn to shreds over and over, some of them even taunt my name. Plead for me to help.

"Listen to them!" Someone yells over the screams both theirs and mine.

I refuse at first, only pressing my hands tighter against the sensitive drums in my ears and trying to think of a better place like I had been taught once.

The volume raises, until it's stinging at my eyes and chocking away the air I breathe.

I finally drop my hands, against every fiber of my being telling me not to, I listen.

The volume of screams drops, but that voice booms,"Save the ones you can in the destruction with the purest form."

She, whoever she is, seems to be projecting from every angle of the trees. Call me crazy but the trees seems to be screaming at me, her feminine voice filled with authority. I don't know her voice, never have in my life.

I dare to mumble aloud," save who? What can I do?"

It's quiet, dead silence, even the blood rushing in my ears is silent but she answers within moments and I regret it all.

"Save the ones you can in the destruction with the purest form," she mumbles once more.

Lydia screams startles me, and I jump when something's thrown into the clearing, I soon realize it's not just something, it's somebody.

"Lydia!" I scream and run towards my best friend. Her pale skin is stained with blood and she's barely able to move. I see dark cuts and bruises everywhere, crimson coming out in heaps from every ripped apart piece of her body as I gather her in my arms.

"Save her!" She yells, whoever she is, from the trees.

I pull the one girl who could help me right now close to my arms," how do I help her!"