chapter twenty one

It had been exactly three months, twelve days and a little over seven hours since Victoria's heart had burst into a thousand pieces

Every day was torture and every day it got worse.
She no longer went out to celebrate or even to work.
She was constantly plagued by the question of whether she had done the right thing or whether she shouldn't just forget everything, return to the villa flooded with light and elope with Francesca.
But then images popped into her head, quite affected by TV shows, of all her friends and relatives lying dead on the floor.
Killed, and all because Victoria had fallen in love with the daughter of a Mafiosi.
In love, yes, that bothered her so much that the numbers on her scales became less and less and the numbers of her days in her room became more and more.

A soft knock brought her out of her trance, which she spent looking up at the ceiling.
She could not produce more than a low hum, but her visitor seemed to hear it all the same.
Damiano entered and looked down at the wretched figure on the large bed.
"You look like shit," he remarked worriedly and sat down gingerly on the edge of the bed.
"Thanks" Victoria replied dryly, but it sounded more like a helpless croak and she quickly shut her mouth again.
"We have written many songs and practised a few melodies, but we unanimously decided to take care of you first," Damiano explained, stroking her forearms gently.
"And how are you going to do that?" Victoria croaked and looked at Damiano with bloodshot eyes.
"Well, first I'll give you something to drink," with that he handed her a glass of water, "then you'll take a shower and we'll pack your bag to take you off into the wide world."
The only response he got from Victoria to this was a deep sigh and how she slowly wrapped herself back up in all her bed covers.
"Oh no beautiful, you don't!" he exclaimed and grabbed Victoria's feet, pulling on them until the rest of the little blonde came out.
He slung her over his shoulder and ran towards the bathroom.
Victoria wanted to lash out, to tell him to put her down, but she was so weakened that she could only hang there.
"Guys, grab her stuff and get her in the car. We'll be right behind you!"

Gently, Damiano put her down under the shower and was about to take a step back when Victoria's legs buckled and he was able to catch her at the last second.
He thought for a moment and put the pile of clothes he had picked out for Victoria out of the shower.
Then he pulled his shirt off his torso and his trousers off his legs.
All that ended up somewhere in the bathroom.
Slowly he climbed back into the shower stall and looked down at Victoria, who was just staring dazedly at the floor.
It was as if she were there, but also in a completely different dimension.
Gently, Damiano brushed the too-big shirt off her skin and took off her socks as well.
Neither of them had ever had a problem with nudity and it often happened that the whole band walked around the house in their underwear, if not completely naked.
They had known each other for ages and had nothing to hide from each other.
So it was no wonder that Damiano was almost in tears when he saw the protruding ribs.
Slowly he turned on the water and checked the temperature before he let the water rain down on his best friend.
She sighed deeply and seemed to slowly return to reality as she clung somewhat helplessly to Damiano.

Carefully, his hands ran through her hair, lathered her up and washed the foam back from her skin.
Victoria tried to stay on her feet, but clung more to Damiano and tried to enjoy the warmth of the water.
It is and always will be difficult to admit to oneself that one is not well.
Victoria knew that too and it was all the more difficult for her to tell herself that she was neither mentally nor physically well.
But maybe a little outing and also time with her friends would help her get back on her feet.
She barely noticed the water being turned off and Damiano stepping out of the shower, but he came right back and wrapped her in a large towel, which he tied around her and rubbed her hair dry with a second one.
While he dried himself, Victoria ran her own towel heavily over her skin and put it down.
She looked to the edge of the bathtub where the pile of clothes lay and grabbed the underwear.
Shivering, she climbed in, holding onto the sink as she went.
Damiano had also laid out an oversized jumper and a pair of sweatpants for her, which were very welcome at the moment.
With her hair still half wet and her clothes too big, she stood in front of her best friend and looked at him with sad eyes.
The latter was putting on his earrings when he recognised the small pile of misery in the mirror behind him and turned around with his arms outstretched.
Slowly, Victoria slipped into the embrace and welcomed the comforting warmth.

Less than half an hour later, all four of them were sitting in the little rickety Golf, enjoying the Italian countryside.
Ethan had opened the driver's door window and a gentle breeze swept around them all.
The radio was playing soft music, which Damiano hummed along to from time to time.
Victoria was leaning against Thomas, who was simultaneously stroking her shoulders and scrolling through Instagram on his mobile phone.
The blonde's gaze lingered on a distant sign sticking out of the city and, as if on cue, her stomach began to growl.
Laughing, Ethan looked in the rear view mirror and said "I think we should make a little stop".
They all hummed in agreement and a small smile stole onto Victoria's lips.
For better or worse, she had the best friends anyone could wish for.
Amd with that thought, she leaned back and snuggled closer to Thomas.

----1052 words----