28. Confrontation

A/N: Here's your late Christmas present.

____________________________

3rd Person POV
____________________________

Four flares are sent up and towards the sky, with green smoke trailing behind them, as the Survey Corp shortens the distance between itself and the forest of the giant trees, signalling the beginning of their descent upon their enemies.

From within the forest, two figures, one short and bulky while the other tall and slim, watch in shock and annoyance, as they realize that a confrontation is inevitable.

Reiner: "It can't be..........."

Bertholdt: 'The Survey Corps......is already......?'

Reiner turns back towards a branch below them, where Eren and Ymir are located.

Reiner: "Damnit......"

Bertholdt grabs onto Reiner's shoulder and stares at him in concern.

Bertholdt: "Reiner, who are you right now?"

Though, Reiner remains calm and gets his friend's hands off of himself.

Reiner: "Relax, I'm a warrior."

Bertholdt: "You're saying to trust Ymir as a warrior?"

Bertholdt darts his eyes towards the girl in question, as Reiner follows his gaze.

Bertholdt: "Isn't she the one who ate Marcel?"

Reiner: "Yeah, that's my point. Ymir's motive is clear. Once she turned back into a human, she probably roamed around and lived only caring about herself. Until she met Christa........"

Bertholdt, understanding what Reiner is trying to say, shifts his eyes back towards him.

Reiner: "And as cute as Christa is, we have other reasons to bring her to our side. She's an important person in a family of the Church. If Eren turns out to not be the coordinate, our job isn't over yet. Having Christa with us at that point will make the search much easier."

Their conversation is cut off by the sounds of four flare guns going off, this time much closer than before. Turning their heads in the direction of the sound, they witness three red flares and a single green flare, to the left.

Bertholdt: "They're close."

Whilst those two converse and try to figure out a plan, Eren looks on with caution and wonders what the two are up to.

Eren: 'What are they talking about? Are they planning on leaving before the sun sets?'

Bertholdt: "Let's put an end to it. The next time we come here, we can take Annie, Christa, and that back home. That way, we won't have to come here anymore."

Reiner: "Yes, and our mission will be over. But as for you...."

Reiner places a hand upon Bertholdt's shoulder and gives him a look of confidence.

Reiner: "When we get to our hometown, tell Annie how you feel."

This remark causes Bertholdt to shift in surprise and he tries to feign ignorance, which he fails in doing, obviously.

Bertholdt: "H-Huh!?! W-What do you mean?"

Reiner: "You stare too much. Enough that everyone can tell."