4. Loss And Regrets

______________

Your POV
______________

Evening of the same day

Once again, the scene is quite familiar and pretty much a routine by this point. I'm in a meeting with Shadis and all the other squad commanders as Erwin is discussing the Long Distance Scouting Formation that he's come up with–a project in which I assisted him.

We had split it up into two parts, both equally as important for its success. Erwin would plan the change in direction, whereas I had taken up the task of relaying the danger level within the formation.

Just now, Erwin has just finished up with the explanation of his part and is now wrapping things up.

Shadis: "...and that's how we'll relay the direction, I take it?"

Erwin: "That's right."

Shadis: "How will we communicate the level of danger?"

Erwin: "Y/N?"

Erwin, Shadis and the commanders look towards me in anticipation and curiosity.

Me: "The colour of the flare will be used to distinguish that."

Taking out a small sheet of paper with a list on it, I place it onto the table before passing it over to Shadis, whose eyes run over the contents as I dictate them.

Me: "Red flares will signal a titan approaching, so the formation will move in response, to avoid the titan. Black flares will signal an abnormal titan and so, they need to be killed as fast as possible, otherwise they threaten the entire formation. In addition, purple flares will be used to relay an emergency. Blue will be used to order a retreat. Erwin has already explained the usage of green flares and yellow flares will let the formation know that the mission has been terminated."

Everyone looks to be thoroughly surprised by how well this has been planned out whilst Erwin looks towards me and smiles confidently.

Shadis: "Excellent work, you two. No doubt, this will reduce the number of deaths on our expeditions, if coordinated properly."

There is a brief silence of a few moments, as everyone tries to think of any other matter which requires some discussion. However, not having anything left to do, Shadis gets up from his chair, as the rest of the squad leaders do the same.

Shadis: "Let's end things here. We still need to finalize things for tomorrow's expedition. And make sure the recruits can rest up. Tomorrow won't be easy for them."

"Yes, Sir!"

___________________________________________

With the meeting having ended and all of my tasks being concluded, I say a 'Good Night' to Erwin and start walking back towards my office.

The journey back is fairly peaceful and with nothing eventful taking place, it doesn't take me long. However, upon arrival, I find something quite strange and suspicious, as I rotate the key inside the door.

My door is already unlocked, evident from the lack of a distinct 'Click!'

'I clearly remember locking it before I left. Who opened it?'

Upon closer inspection, it's obvious that it's been lock picked.

Acting hastily, I run inside to find that my things are untouched. Any valuables that I have, which are very few, are still there. And I don't seem to be missing any important military documents, either.