3. The Survey Corps

__________________

Your POV
__________________

I'm currently sitting in a meeting room with Erwin, the 12th commander of the Survey Corps: Keith Shadis, and some other squad commanders.

After we had returned, with Levi and her accomplices, who I have come to know as Isabel Magnolia and Farlan Church, Shadis ordered a meeting with the Squad Commanders.

Right now, Flagon, another squad leader, is arguing that we shouldn't recruit those three.

Flagon: "Quite frankly, this is humiliating! Are you honestly telling us, who have always held formality in high regard, to accept a bunch of criminals? Our men's morale will be tainted if we allow those underground scum to join!"

"I am in agreement with Flagon. And to suggest we take these criminals with us on the next expedition?"

I don't say anything and just let the scene play out since I'm curious as to what Shadis will decide.

Erwin: "I understand your concerns. But Y/N and I can personally vouch for their ODM skills. Isn't that right?"

He asks, turning towards me. I simply nod my head to confirm what he said.

Shadis: "The new formation that Erwin has been working on, with assistance from Y/N, is quite groundbreaking. It emphasises importance not on how to best kill the titans, but how we should best avoid them. I believe our casualties will be greatly reduced."

Erwin: "This formation is likely to be accepted as the norm for our forces."

'He's right. Most recruits would want to avoid fighting titans on their early expeditions. Once their confidence and morale can build up, they'll become the perfect titan slaying warriors.'

Shadis: "Back on topic, what those scum lack are discipline and manners. It should only take a short amount of time to train them. They don't appear to be idiots. Right, Erwin?"

Erwin and Flagon are having a staring contest, with Erwin hardening his gaze alongside each word that Shadis spoke, whilst I just take a sip out of my cup.

Erwin: "Correct."

Shadis: "We'll end things here for today, then."

Shadis and the rest of the squad commanders stand up to exit the room, and I follow their example too. As they start to leave and vacate the room, I grab onto Erwin's sleeve and lightly pull him towards me.

Erwin: "What is it?"

Me: "I want to talk. Privately."

He simply nods and I let go of his sleeve before following him outside.

___________________________________________

Shadis: "Attention, all!"

Everybody gets into formation, once Shadis arrives, with Erwin standing in front of me. Levi, Isabel and Farlan are all standing on stage, alongside Shadis, in their new uniforms. At the same time, however, Levi looks to be glaring at me and Erwin.

Shadis: "From today, these three will be fighting alongside you all! Introduce yourselves!"

Levi's gaze shifts specifically towards Erwin. If looks could kill, he would have been crushed by now.