CCI

Lucy watched with a pleasant and content smile as Sikandar and Masud played in the Royal Garden amongst the many blooming flowers. A gentle, cool breeze blew, her dress and shawl billowing softly along with Masrur's cape. Seeing the look of happiness in her eyes, Masrur wore a small, rare smile, his crimson eyes gleaming in happiness for it had been a while since he had last seen her with such an expression.

"He's grown up well," Lucy said, a barrier placed around them, their words only audible to each other. "Thank you, Masrur. For everything."

"I only did what I promised to do," he answered.

Lucy smiled, her eyes shining softly with affection. He was placed as her guard when she had arrived in Sindria at seventeen and shortly after, he became one of her retainers and in an even shorter time, rose to stand at the top of them. They had been together for six years and he hadn't changed in the least. He was still the same Masrur who had sworn his loyalty to her and the same man who loved her deeply, his heart not once wavering as his love for her only grew all the more. But, he wasn't the only one who hadn't changed. She, too, still held him in her heart. Her affection and love for him never waned but instead, sat in her chest where the feelings continued to bud and bloom. She never thought she would love another as much as she did Sinbad but, before she knew it, he had entered her heart and she was no longer able to deny her feelings for him.

"Even if I had not promised, I would still raise him," he said and turned to her, his crimson eyes reflecting her in all her beauty as they glowed softly with endearment. "He is our child."

She slowly widened her eyes before softening her eyes and pulling her lips into a warm, sorrowful smile. "Yes. He is."

The two gazed fondly at Masud and though he remained stoic, they saw the twinkle of childlike innocence in his eyes as Sikandar taught him how to make flower wreaths, something that Lucy had taught him when he had begun to walk and they were able to take walks around the garden. Lucy smiled happily, unable to hide her obvious delight for it was the first time in five years that she was able to see him again. After she had been separated from him after the agreed six-month period, she could only steal glances at him from afar once Masrur started bringing him to the Palace on occasion. Even then, Sinbad always prevented them from meeting and so, it was all she could do to not cry upon seeing him.

"I'm a selfish mother, aren't I?" she smiled, hating herself for the thoughts she harbored. "Even though I hate the intent with which he was brought in, I'm still glad that he was."

Masrur hardened his gaze, his chest filled with sorrow as he gazed at her sullen expression. "You're not."

She chuckled. "If Masud were to find out the truth, he would surely hate me. He would hate having such a weak mother like me and," she pursed her lips, imagining the day where Masud would find out and he would shout out at her in hatred, a look of contempt in his eyes, "I would surely despair."

"Lucy..."

"If that were to happen, I would rather let him live a life not knowing who his mother is," she said, each word she uttered stabbing her deep in the chest as her face scrunched up in bitterness and pain as she held back the tears. "I'd rather him live happily without knowing anything."

Masrur pulled his lips into a firm line, his bangs casting a shadow over his eyes. "He won't."

She smiled sadly, not convinced at all. Seeing that expression on her face, his heart clenched up. He gritted his teeth and balled his hands into fists, his brows furrowed in frustration and sorrow as he wished to embrace her right now and wipe all the sadness and bitterness away. She had given up so much and here she was again, giving herself up for the sake of her child. He gulped, wondering just how selfless she could be. Anyone else would think and act for the sake of their own benefit but, Lucy only thought about others. She only ever thought about others. For once, he wished that she would think about herself and act for her own desires.