CCXXXV

Three years had passed since then and it was obvious that the flames of war were slowly spreading across the continent. The tension between the Kingdom of Sindria and the Kou Empire continued to brew at the surface, their hatred for the other growing by the days. The Kou Empire had suffered devastating economic setbacks due to the withdrawal of trade from many nations that sided with Sindria. Though it was slowly improving, they were made fatally aware of the amount of power that the Heartfilia Conglomerate and the Sindria Trading Company wielded. But, Sindria cared for none of it with their worries directed elsewhere. Contrary to their expectations, their Queen's health wasn't improving in the least but rather, slowly deteriorating.

"Mother!"

"Royal Mother."

Two balls of purple hair ran through the Royal Garden and wrapped their arms tightly around the woman they missed most: their Mother, Lucy.

"Shameena, Saheim," Lucy softened her eyes.

The two smiled happily at her as she bent down and patted the two on their heads. The twins had just celebrated their third birthday and though quite young, they had already proven themselves and their capability. Both were equally skilled at the sword and pen, their abilities beyond the level of their peers. Shameena was well-versed in physical combat and was adept at all weapons while Saheim was well-versed in all different kinds of literature and arts and had begun helping Sinbad and the Generals in developing war tactics. But, it was clear that neither of them could compare to their older brother, Sikandar, who was gifted in all fields. It was a fact that everyone knew well, including the twins. They, who had once fought against Sikandar to be the next Crown Prince, quickly realized their position and were now doing their best to support him.

"How were lessons today?" Lucy asked.

"It was fun!" Shameena, the brighter and more enthusiastic of the two, exclaimed. "I got to pummel all the guards! They were far weaker than I thought!"

"You're just crazy strong, older sister," Saheim, who was timid and always looked as if he was about to cry, remarked.

"Says the person who did far more damage than I did," she said, recalling his skilled yet violent way with the sword and the number of lacerations he had left on the soldiers.

Saheim quickly dispersed those images. "D-Did not!"

Shameena snickered and tears began to well up in his eyes before he started crying, startling her. Narrowing her eyes, she pulled on his cheeks which made him cry even more.

"Stop pretending to be a weakling when you're not."

Saheim only cried louder. "O-Older sister's a bully!"

They were twins and no one knew themselves better than the other. Saheim was a rather timid and shy child but, behind that tearful exterior, he hid a mind as calculating and a personality as merciless as Sinbad's. The only reason why he pretended to be timid and weak was so that he would appear pitiful in Lucy's eyes and win her affection. But, it wasn't a complete theatrical act for when he was with family, that was his actual personality.

Shameena stared at him, wondering who he took after when it came to all the crying.

It's Sinbad, Masrur, who had been standing by Lucy's side, remarked.

It's the idiot King, Kaede answered.

It's definitely Sinbad, Ja'far, who had accompanied them to the Royal Garden, nodded his head.

There was not a hint of disagreement.

"I'm sure Shameena didn't mean what she said," Lucy smiled fondly, patting the two on their head. "Even if she did, I'm sure she had a reason to."