CCXXVII

Silence filled the greenhouse with only the soft crashing of water against the rocks echoing within the glass walls. All had retired for the night but in the middle of the greenhouse where Lucy continued to remain asleep was a man who was still awake. Having just woken up, he sat beside her on the bed, gently taking a lock of her hair and raising it to his lips, kissing it. His amber eyes shone with worry and affection as he knitted his brows together, hoping only for her to wake up. Heaving a trembling sigh, his voice crackled slightly in nothing but agony and sorrow.

"But, this may be for the best," he whispered, his voice low and gentle as he gazed fondly at her. "If you were awake, you would do anything you could to lighten her punishment."

Silence filled the quiet air and lowering his hand, he leaned in and planted a soft kiss on her forehead before getting up to leave.

"I won't forgive her nor the Empire," he said with resolve. "No matter what."

Kaede and the Retainers appeared alongside Ja'far and the Generals, all of them dressed in their royal garments and uniforms, and glancing at him who remained by Lucy's side, they lowered their heads and pursed their lips in bitterness, their gaze downcast. They watched their Queen who continued to sleep without any sign of waking up and remembering the cause of her current state, it only served to fuel their resentment even more. She had just been getting better, too, and yet, she had once again become the target of the Kou Empire's desire. For that, none of them could forgive them.

"Everything's been set in place. The sun will begin to rise soon," Kaede said.

"Yeah," Sinbad answered and rose up from the bed, draping his cloak around him and changing into his royal uniform in an instant. "Let's get going. The sooner the execution ends, there'll be one less threat that I'll have to worry about."

The Generals and Retainers followed him out the greenhouse as they made their way to the execution grounds. Masrur came to a slow stop and glancing back one last time at Lucy, he hardened his eyes with resolve and turned on his heels. He was willing to grant any wish of hers and carry out her decisions regardless of whether or not he agreed with them but, this was the one time he couldn't. He couldn't forgive the person who had harmed her and he would never be able to even if they were to be executed. Leaving, his cloak flowing behind him, he swore to himself.

I will protect you, his crimson eyes blazed with conviction and resolve. Even if these hands become soaked and stained with blood.

As they left, the greenhouse was once again bathed in silence but, in the midst of it all, the rukh began to flutter actively about, settling down on the bed and the lilies which adorned the area around it. Shimmering like golden dust, a finger twitched, and as it did, those long pair of lashes that had remained closed for three days finally revealed the pair of mesmerizing and beautiful brilliant golden eyes that they had all been waiting for. But, a tear rolled down her eyes as she lay there, her heart clenching up and her hands tightening into a fist.

"Kougyoku."

Though she didn't have a sure idea of what was happening, she felt the urgency and knew that she had to go. Given what Kougyoku had done, she would not be able to escape punishment. Furthermore, given Sinbad's personality, he would ignore all past affections and execute only the harshest punishment. Balling her hands into fists, she reached for her cloak which floated over to her.

She needed to go.

Before Sinbad got to her, she needed to talk to Kougyokyu once more. She needed an answer. She needed to know why she went to such lengths to the point where she even involved innocent children in her schemes. Struggling to get up but refusing to give up, she gritted her teeth and forced herself up on her knees. After three days of being immobile, she had expected moving to be difficult but she didn't expect to find herself losing her balance and ultimately falling to the floor with a thud. But, she couldn't stop here. Clenching her teeth and ignoring the pain, she forced herself to sit up, her eyes filled with desperation.