CCXXXVIII

Three months quickly passed and winter soon came knocking at the door. The manor was free from the subzero temperatures with the interior kept warm using rune stones. The scenery around them became a field of white and had remained constant since the first week of winter. With winter preparations complete, the three stayed indoors and pleasantly enjoyed the warmth of the hearth.

"Here," Masrur held up an orange slice.

Lucy opened her mouth and happily ate it, much to Masrur's pleasure as he quietly fed her.

"This one's also delicious," Masud said, holding up a slice.

She turned to his and ate it as well with Masud brightening up in delight. Masrur narrowed his eyes in displeasure and quickly fed Lucy another one. Glaring at Masrur, Masud fed Lucy another one just as quick. The two took turns feeding Lucy and Lucy, who remained oblivious to it all, ate it all happily, enjoying the cold, sweet taste of the mandarins.

"I forgot how nice a kotatsu felt," she leaned against Masrur's shoulder.

He perked up and gazed affectionately at her. He pulled the blanket further over her shoulders, ensuring she didn't feel cold. She snuggled closer to his body which was as warm as a radiator and he placed an arm around her, pulling her close. Masud smiled fondly. Seeing the two happy, he was happy. Lucy slowly fell asleep in Masrur's arms and Masrur softened his eyes. Though her condition was considerably better than before, it didn't mean she was completely fine. She spent most hours of the day sleeping and with winter now here, the hours only became longer.

"I'll get a pillow and another blanket," Masud stood up.

Masrur nodded his head, his eyes never leaving Lucy. Rather than move her, it was better to let her sleep in a position of comfort. His fingers grazed over her cheek, her body still and lifeless like a doll. If it weren't for the slight heaving of her chest, he would've thought the worst.

"Here's the pillow," Masud returned.

Masrur gently picked up Lucy and Masud slid the pillow under her head. Taking the heavy blanket, they covered her securely and the look of comfort on her face was enough for them. Dimming the light, Masrur and Masud left the room and decided to begin preparing dinner so that once she awoke, she would be welcomed by a hearty feast.

The snow slowly piled up outside, the room dark yet warm from the central heating system provided by the rune stones. A gust of wind sent the windows clattering quietly from the impact and brought with it a man that was all too familiar. His long, maroon-pink hair flowed behind him and his maroon eyes shone softly with endearment. His winter cape hung from his shoulders and billowed behind him as he bent down next to her.

"So this is where you were," he spoke her name with pure affection. "Lucy-nee."

His eyes shone with a hint of gold and tears threatened to fall. Her pale face and voluptuous yet slim body were the first to catch his eye. She hadn't changed at all over the years but, she had become so much thinner to the point where a single touch seemed like it would break her. Grazing the back of his hand gently across her cheek, his heart tightened in agony and a single teardrop fell on her cheek. Lowering his head, his body trembled as he held her hand to his head.

"Lucy-nee," he cried silently, his gaze tender and soft with sorrow and despair. "Just how painful had it been for you to choose to leave the Royal Palace?"

He sat by her side in silence, crying in her stead. She was the only one who he gazed at with such affection, his childhood first love still near and dear to his heart. He had come to judge with his own eyes whether he would participate in the war or not and even after seeing her, he remained unsure. He wanted her to be happy and free but, he didn't know which path would provide her true happiness. He didn't wish for Kouen or Sinbad to have her but, at the same time, he had no courage to claim her heart for himself.