CCXXXII

"How did things become like this?" Tomoyo wept bitterly outside Lucy's doors.

Since Lucy, Masrur, Masud, and Kaede's return back to the Royal Palace, the entire place was in an uproar as immediately following the incident, Kaede sent the captured video across the entire globe and projected it to all people. The evidence was clear as day. No matter how much the Imperial Ren Family may try to twist reality, their people had seen firsthand the atrocious behavior of the Royal Family. Though Lucy may be the Royal Queen of Sindria, she was once the Imperial Noble Consort beloved by the people of the Kou Empire. Even now, she still was. They would not accept such behavior after the betrayal that she had already suffered at the hands of the Imperial Family. It would not be easy to gain the support of the people.

Sinbad had gathered the Seven Seas Alliance and as a whole, had withdrawn any and all relationship with the Kou Empire. The Reim Empire continued to remain neutral per Scheherazade's decision, watching the situation unfold with a tense and stern gaze. The people of Sindria could no longer tolerate the Imperial Family's disrespect and contempt towards their Queen and their patience had finally reached its limit the moment they saw what had happened to Lucy. It wasn't just Sinbad and the Generals who took action but the Retainers as well. Wu Kong had been the acting Head under Lucy's guidance but with Lucy's absence, he had assumed direct control. He ceased all operations in the Kou Empire, plummeting their economy into chaos. Kaede and Tomoyo withdrew all contracts associated with the people of the Kou Empire and burned them to the ground. With one action taken against their mistress, the Head of the Heartfilia Household, the entire Heartfilia Conglomerate withdrew from the Kou Empire's market. They closed their doors and hung out their banners, refusing to involve themselves with the people that had willed their mistress' death.

"She was fine just this morning. She was getting better! So why...?" Tomoyo broke down and crumpled to the ground. "Why does this always happen?"

The room was heavy with silence.

Inside the room, Sinbad stayed by Lucy's side while Masrur stood to the side, watching over her with a deep, concerning yet guilty gaze. When Masrur had returned with Lucy in his arms, Sinbad had run out to greet them but, widened his eyes at the sight he saw. Kaede carried Masud in his arms, the child's face stricken with streaks of dried blood but otherwise, fine. However, Lucy's case was entirely different. Her eyes remained closed and her magoi amount had fallen by several times though it still remained identifiable. Connecting the dots together, Sinbad's face fell. His face was pale with horror and soon, his amber eyes burned with murderous rage, the entire surrounding air emanating bloodlust.

"Lucy," Sinbad held her hand, his face dry with tears.

It was the first time he had wept so much. But, upon imagining the pain that she suffered as she sacrificed her own eyes, his chest tightened and his breathing hitched. He found the tears welling up in his eyes again, streaming down his cheeks.

"Just how much more?" he lowered his head and gritted his teeth, holding tightly onto her hand. "Just how much more must she have taken from her?" he cried.

She had almost lost Masud, who had been taken in Sikandar's place, and upon saving him, she immediately lost Kuugen. It was as if she was destined to lose someone no matter how desperately she tried to save them. Her face was a sickly pale white and the tears wet her lashes every now and then as they rolled down the side of her face.

"Kuugen..." she murmured, her voice filled with pain and agony.

Masrur turned his head and furrowed his brows, unable to bear hearing the sorrow in her voice. He balled his hands into fists and in those crimson red eyes of his, there was only anger and resentment towards the people who had pushed her this far and guilt for having not been able to do more.