CCXL

Returning to the Soleil Palace, Sinbad carried her gently in his arms as he made his way to the bath. Their royal robes and accessories were discarded for a pair of white bathrobes with the former returning to the royal wardrobe where it hung itself along its designated rack. Setting Lucy down, he knelt down behind her and quietly began to scrub her hair. Lucy closed her eyes in silence as Sinbad diligently scrubbed every speck of dirt and debris from her body even though he could easily use magic to do so. But, it was one of the many things he continued to do throughout the years of their marriage, having never broken any of his vows or promises to her without reason.

"How were the past six months?" he asked, finally breaking the silence.

Lucy softened her expression. "It was fun. To the point where it almost felt like a dream."

Sinbad narrowed his eyes, his lips pulled into a firm line.

"Throughout the span of my twenty-six years of life, those six months was a time that I had experienced the most amount of freedom. It was perhaps the closest I've ever been in seeing a taste of true freedom."

His amber eyes flickered as he wavered for a moment before lifting her arm and rinsing her down.

"I was happy," she smiled.

Finishing rinsing her down, he knelt there behind her in silence. He had expected something like this but, he didn't think living with Masrur and Masud for but a short six months could make her so happy; happier than he had ever made her. Yet, he couldn't let go. He refused to let go. Even if it meant she would never truly be happy.

"But, my decision has long been made."

He remained silent as she turned to him with a soft and warm expression.

"You are the man I chose to marry and the man I chose to stay by in this life," she gently placed her hands on his cheeks and lifted his face to look at her, the guilt and self-disdain in his eyes evident. "Regardless of whatever change that comes along, my feelings for you were and are real. From the very beginning, my position has been by your side and will forever always be, Sinbad."

His lips trembled and lowering his face, the tears welled up in his eyes as he clutched Lucy's hands.

"You can hate me, spite me, resent me. But," he said with an aching, cracking voice as he lifted his head to look her in the eye, "the only thing you can't do is leave me, Lucy. Please," he said, the tears rolling down, his voice but a bare whisper, "don't leave me. I love you too much to let go."

She smiled helplessly and lovingly at the man before him. Their relationship might have changed over the years they've been together and the complete trust they had in each other could never be mended. But, that didn't mean her feelings for him had disappeared. They still existed. Blooming radiantly and majestically in her heart. Wiping away the tears, she planted her lips softly on his.

"Even now, you're still the man-child you are," she said and hugged him, knowing that she was the fault of his insecurities. "Sometimes, I wish you had fallen in love with someone more sensible. Someone who would love you wholeheartedly instead of me, someone who had been damaged since long ago."

"I only need you, Lucy," he buried his face into her chest. "I don't need anyone else but you. You're the only one I'll ever fall in love with you and the only one I'll ever have in my heart."

She smiled, the tears threatening to fall. She didn't deserve him. Holding him close, she closed her eyes, the tears rolling down. Lifting his head up, he reached out his hand and lovingly caressed her cheek. Closing his eyes, he leaned in and kissed her, passionately and lovingly with yearning. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he pressed her body against his. But, before he could do anything more, Lucy placed her hand against him.