CCVIII

The chandelier lights of the banquet hall lit up the Grand Palace as the banquet was in full swing with the greetings having been said and the guests now fully enjoying themselves. Many continued to flock around the three major nations but, few flocked to the Royal Family of Sindria due to fear and hesitation. None in their right minds dared to approach the retainers and noticing the obvious glare from Sinbad and Masrur, they stepped back. Lucy wished to enjoy the banquet with Masud, Sikandar, and everyone else and Sinbad and Masrur had every intention to uphold this wish of hers.

"You should take some time to enjoy the food as well," Sinbad said, taking the plate from Lucy. "Sikandar, don't trouble your mother like this."

"Yes," Sikandar pouted slightly but took the plate and utensils from Sinbad, refilling his plate and eating on his own.

"I'll feed Masud. You should go and enjoy the food, too," Masrur said.

"But..." she looked up at him in worry.

He softened his eyes, already knowing what it was that she was worried about. "Don't worry. I had my fill earlier during the greetings."

Hearing that he had eaten, she smiled in relief and gladly handed the plate to him as Masrur fed Masud. Despite his nonchalant demeanor, he was a good father to Masud for the latter quietly ate from his fork as it was a common occurrence back at home. Sikandar watched enviously on before averting his gaze, biting down on his fork. He looked up at Sinbad and gave a mocking chuckle. Sinbad would never do something like that. Such things as affection were never once given to him from Sinbad. The only one in the Royal Family who would treat him affectionately was Lucy, hence why he clung to her and inevitably, grew attached to her.

"Royal Mother, is the food to your liking?" Sikandar asked, referring to her formally in public and wearing a mask of smiles as he buried his feelings of envy and jealousy.

Lucy smiled. "It's been a while since I last visited the Reim Empire so, the taste is indeed nostalgic."

"I'm glad to hear that," Sikandar smiled, his mood slightly improving as Lucy patted him on the head.

Noticing his barely touched plate, Lucy bent down. "Is Sikandar not feeling well?"

Surprised at the sudden question, Sikandar hurriedly shook his head. "Not at all."

"But you've barely eaten anything," Lucy said and placed her plate to the side. She took off her gloves and placed a hand over her forehead and the other over his, Sikandar perking up as his cheeks flushed a rosy hue. "It doesn't seem to be a fever."

Pursing his lips, his amber eyes shone with happiness. Just like I thought, Mama is really the best.

It didn't matter if she was affectionate to Masud. Lucy was kind to all and it was a fact that he knew very well considering how the Heartfilia Household sponsored many orphanages and offered them education. By doing so, they could be given a fair chance at life just like any other child and would be able to seek proper jobs in the future without having to worry about their background. Oftentimes, those children from the orphanages who displayed exceptional talents were sought out by the Heartfilia Conglomerate and recruited with many becoming either receptionists or administrators, both being highly sought positions for they were under the direct supervision of the Directors of the Heartfilia Household and, in turn, the President, Lucy, herself.

So, it was best for him to throw away these ugly feelings of jealousy and just think of Masud as another child Lucy wished to dote on. At the end of the day, Lucy was still his mother. She was the one who lovingly raised him and cared for him the most. He loved Lucy the most and it was a fact that would never change. Even if she were to one day kill him and shout words of hatred at him, he was confident that his love for her would not change.