CCXXVIII

Following Kougyoku's death, the entire Royal Palace fell silent for though none mourned the death of the Royal Concubine, they worried over their Queen who mourned the death of the Royal Concubine alone. She stayed holed up in the greenhouse for weeks, silent and still like a lifeless doll with the only indication of life being the tears that silently rolled down her face. Her mind understood that the only option was to execute her given the weight of her crime but her heart refused to accept it. It was the most the Retainers could do to even get her to eat by bringing up her pregnancy. She simply sat there in silence, clutching onto the hairpin that she had given Kougyoku and wallowing in guilt.

"Lucy."

Lucy remained silent, the tears rolling down her face for even the voice and warmth of the man whom she loved dearly was unable to provide her comfort. Rather, seeing him or even hearing him only brought up the words Kougyoku last spoke.

"Lucy," he attempted to walk closer to her but was stopped.

"Don't," she whispered, having placed Aegis around her.

Sinbad stared at her, his brows furrowed and his amber eyes filled with sorrow and despair for this was the first time she had rejected him like this. But, most of all, he couldn't bear to see her in her current state as he was reminded of the time when she had been a mere doll sitting in the position of Kouen's Imperial Noble Consort. Kougyoku's execution was just for had it been anyone else, they would bear similar consequences. Yet, even till the very end, she was intent on driving a wedge in between their relationship and manipulating Lucy's feelings towards her.

"I'm already being lenient enough by not talking about how you blatantly lied to my face," she said, knowing what kind of expression he was wearing and fearing that if she were to look into his eyes, she would break down and forgive him. "So don't," she pursed her lips, the tears wetting her pale, porcelain face. "Don't come any closer."

His eyes wavered, tears welling up in his eyes. Kneeling slowly down onto one knee, he stared up at her, desperate for her to look at him even once. His heart tightened up in misery and despair, wishing nothing more than to hold her. But, he could not apologize to her. As a King, his judgment was fair and just and he could not make exceptions in the law. Especially as a husband, he could not forgive the one who dared to harm his wife. And he knew that Lucy realized it all.

"What will it take for you to forgive me?" he said in desperation, his voice cracking.

Lucy remained silent, her heart wavering. She knew she couldn't be mad at him for long for everything he did was just. Even not telling her was for her own sake. If she did successfully intervene, people would start questioning her and her capability as Queen. If she chose to ignore the law for Kougyoku and Sinbad chose to ignore the law for her, no one would trust the Royal Family, and the entire system that they built would collapse. Not to mention, she was pregnant and he was trying all that he could to prevent her from coming into contact with any kind of stressor or shock. Nevertheless, she couldn't forgive them. Not only Sinbad but even her own Retainers who had blocked both her eyes and ears from any information regarding Kougyoku.

"If I slept any longer, would you have ever told me the truth?" she asked, finally turning to look his way, her honey-brown eyes wavering and glistening with the tears. "Sinbad?"

He stared at her and in those beautiful eyes of hers, she still trusted him. Pursing his lips, a lone tear rolled down his face as he clenched his hand tightly into a fist.

"Sooner or later, you would've found out," he answered. "So," he chose to be honest, "I would've hid it as long as I could."

The tears rolled down her face and his heart broke, knowing that he had once again made the wrong decision.