CCXXII

Lucy's condition remained relatively stable upon her return to the Royal Palace as she remained under the protective care and watch of her Retainers and the World Tree, Yggdrasil. It wasn't before long that she soon regained consciousness and Aegis returned back to her side. However, in the short time that she was asleep, Sinbad had long passed down his order. Upon hearing the punishment he gave Sikandar, she immediately planned on confronting Sinbad but, she was stopped by her Retainers.

"Lucy-sama," Tomoyo walked up to her, her crimson pink eyes boring deep into hers. "We know of your fondness for Sikandar-sama but, no matter how fond you are of him and how much you dote on him, this time, he must bear the responsibilities of his actions."

"Tomoyo..." Lucy stared at her before turning to the others. "Is this also what you guys think?"

The others remained silent but closed their eyes, acknowledging her statement.

"But Sikandar's only five!" she narrowed her eyes.

"It's because he's five that we're being so harsh on him this time," Kaede said. "Back then, we could ignore his selfish antics but, this time, his actions had almost killed you."

"That-!" Lucy retorted but soon gazed down at the blanket, her fits gripping the sheets. "It was just an accident. He didn't do it on purpose."

"He knew that Sinbad and the others had warned him not to go out and he would be allowed out during the Mahrajan Festival where Sinbad would take him around himself. Yet, he specifically came to you, knowing that you can't say no to him," Kaede narrowed his eyes. "His intentions may have been pure and innocent but, that doesn't excuse him."

She pursed her lips.

"Lucy, he's not the only one that needs you."

She widened her eyes and gazed up at Kaede, only for her eyes to widen even more as she saw the look of hurt and pain in his eyes. The others gazed at her in frustrated worry, their bodies still tense at the fact that they had almost lost her again. Her heart dropped down to her stomach as she realized just how selfish she was being. They were worried for her and though she had promised she would no longer put them through that pain again, she had broken her promise. Not only that, rather than thinking about how they felt, she thought of only Sikandar and chose to ignore their feelings. Realizing what she had done, guilt quickly weighed upon her shoulders as she gazed down in self-disdain.

"I'm sorry," she said, hating herself and her impulsiveness. "I made you all worry."

"Lucy-sama..." tears welled up in Tomoyo's eyes as she knelt down by her bedside and wrapped her arms around Lucy's torso, crying into her arms.

Lucy softened her eyes and patted her head, her brows furrowed in sorrow and deep regret. "I'm sorry."

Wu Kong shook his head. "It's understandable why you acted the way you did. He is your son, after all."

"But, he's also the First Royal Prince," Kaede brought the situation back to reality. "I'm sure you're also aware of it, Lucy."

Lucy pursed her lips. "I...do tend to dote on him a fair bit."

"Not only that, his personality is exactly on the same wavelength as Sinbad's. He may not have directly caused this incident but he indirectly did."

Lucy could not argue with his words.

"As the First Royal Prince of the Kingdom, he has to bear the consequences of his actions for having almost killed the Royal Queen, his own birth mother," Kaede narrowed his eyes. "Even you cannot save him from this, Lucy. This is his responsibility."