Once Upon A Time: The Midnight Princess (toniclomera)

Story by: toniclomera

Author of:

"When Two Broken Hearts Meet",
"Dream Catcher",
"Trans-Fur-Mation",
"Torpe",
"DiYueniverse",
"Trapped"

Title of the story: "Once Upon A Time: The Midnight Princess"

Song: "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You" by The Boyce Avenue

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I have published a story and I am very happy and thankful to be a part of this project by Lu. I was hesitant to join this project since I wasn't sure if I could still write. I almost did not join but I am glad I did. It's an honor for my story to be published alongside the stories of great diyue authors and editors. It wasn't an easy task getting my writing groove back. I have changed my story many times, scrapped ideas after ideas, deleted an entire story and started all over again. I just couldn't find the right story for Dylan and Yue. Until I came across A Cinderella Story, while I was looking for something to watch on Netflix. And this is how this story was born.

I was surprised to learn that Cinderella is a folk tale and not a fairy tale like what most of us knew growing up. It is a story with thousands of variants around the world. But what gave me the final push to write this story is when I learned that the Chinese version of Cinderella is one of the world's first Cinderella stories, published in the 9th century. And, Cinderella in the Chinese version is called Yeh Shen. What are the odds right? Probably, Dylan Wang and Shen Yue are really from a royal lineage in an alternate universe.

This story is common, cliche and unoriginal. But I am happy to have been able to write my own version of a Cinderella story. And it's even more special because of DiYue, don't you think? I hope you enjoy reading this.

Bibbidi bobbidi boo! 😘

*******

Once upon a time there was a beautiful and simple girl named Cinderella. She lived with her evil stepmother and two stepsisters. The stepmother did not like her and made her do all the housework. Her stepsisters never had to work and just roamed around the house in their fancy dresses...

Oooppss. Scratch that. Wrong story. Though my life story resembles that of Cinderella, my life is definitely not a fairy tale. I am an orphan, and I live with my stepmother and two stepsisters. I used to be treated like a princess by my father. But now I'm as good as a servant, in my own home.

My name is Shen Yue, seventeen years old, soon to graduate from senior middle school. And this is my story.

I lost my father when I was twelve. He went on a business trip one day and didn't make it back home. No one really knows what happened to him. I was too young to truly understand anything back then. And my stepmother has forbidden me to ask any questions. And since my father did not leave a last will and testament, she just took over my dad's business and also took over my life.