Umbrellas

you opened your eyes to see him sprinting towards you. you figured that he probably started sprinting because the rain got heavier.

without saying a word, he quietly sat on the swing beside you. you turned your head to see his tired face. wet spots were evident on his clothes, but at least he wasn't drenched.

"tiring day?" you asked him in an attempt of starting idle chit-chat with him.

"is it that obvious?" your eyes scanned him from head to toe. from his slightly soaked hair, the eye bags under his eyes, and his disheveled appearance.

you let out a light chuckle to answer his question. you expected an awkward silence to follow, but instead, you heard him sighing.

"since when did this swing have a cover?" Xiao asked you while eyeing the plastic cover above him. 

"it has always had one" you answered him with an intrigued smile since you never thought of him as someone who would open up a conversation. 

seeing his confused face, you added your reply, "you may not realize this but on the side of the swing, you usually see a wrapped plastic cover. I put it on every time it rains. it's quite simple"

he closed his eyes for a moment then suddenly opened them in realization. he quickly hummed in agreement. 

your alarm ringtone rang abruptly making Xiao flinch a little. you, on the other hand, were already used to this that you didn't even flinch.

you opened your tote bag and reached for your phone to turn it off. you took out your umbrella but turned out you had a spare umbrella too.

well, not really a spare one considering it's damaged even though it's still usable. your mind traveled back to when Xiao sprinted towards you.

you lifted your head to see the rain around you and looked back at Xiao who's swinging on his own swing without a care about his surroundings.

you hesitantly picked up your unused umbrella with your dominant hand and transferred your umbrella to your other hand carefully.

you gazed up to the teal-haired guy in front of you one last time and stood up from your swing. with steps full of doubt, you walked towards Xiao who was looking at you with confusion.

you stood beside him and extended your dominant hand to offer your spare umbrella to him, but he only stared at you with the same confused look.

"you don't have an umbrella right? here. I have a spare one, there are a few holes in the middle though" you explained to him.

his eyes lit up and he quickly took the umbrella from your hand. after observing it for a bit his eyes made their way back to you.

"how do I return it to you?" you smiled, feeling amused at what he asked you. 

"you can return it tomorrow or whenever you want to. I always sit here every day" you reminded him.

he thought about it then answered you with a grateful smile, "Alright then, thanks for this" 

you were quite surprised to see his smile. even so, you returned his smile, "I've gotta get going, it was nice seeing you again"

with that, you opened your umbrella and walked out into the rain. only then, you realized that there were drops of water falling onto your head.

it didn't take you long to realize that you gave xiao the wrong umbrella. sighing, you moved your legs faster to avoid the rain.