Different

your hope is starting to fade as you swung in silence. for some reason, you arrived at the park right at midnight. yet, even after 45 minutes, you were still the only one in the park.

a disappointed sigh left your mouth as you closed your eyes, feeling the seemingly colder wind as the moon was completely covered in clouds, not letting its light shine through.

I guess tonight will be boring

not wanting to sulk from such trifling matters, your hand reached for your tote bag and took out your phone to search for your favorite playlist.

hearing it blasting through the empty park, you started to use your swing again annoyedly, not waiting for him any longer.

singing along to the song, you closed your eyes to get into the song. without catching your attention, a silhouette stopped right behind you.

feeling a cold touch on your nape, you abruptly stopped your swing, standing up before whipping your head around defensively.

contrary to the disappointed feeling you initially had, a burst of excitement and ease surged through your body seeing the person you wanted to see the most.

a relieved sigh escaped your lips as your tensed shoulders relaxed. seeing Xiao walking away to his swing, you sat back on yours, continuing what you were doing.

a light smile appeared on Xiao's face as he sat down on his swing before joining you, swinging in the cold of night.

"I thought you were some kids playing pranks" you turned to him to see his reaction.

to your surprise, he didn't even glance at you. his expression was as calm as ever, unlike you who felt the wind was a little too cold.

his black techwear jacket hung loosely around his figure, shielding him from the coldness and covering his tattoo from your view.

you wouldn't lie that his tattoos are so beautiful when they gleamed under the moonlight. almost making you want to get a tattoo of your own.

the more you stare at him, the more you were aware of your playlist that had been blasting throughout the park the whole time.

realizing that Xiao probably didn't hear you earlier, you quickly paused your playlist and turned off your phone, putting it inside your tote bag.

noticing that the pak has turned silent, Xiao turned his head towards you in confusion to see that you were expecting him to do that.

"you know, I never expected you're the type to pull pranks," you told him to which he had to stop himself from laughing.

"Sorry I scared you," he told you half-assedly

"did you truly want to prank me tho? not only you did prank me, but you're also late. I even doubted you'll be here"

"nope. I first came here around thirty mins ago. it was too chilly so I went back and took my jacket first," Xiao argued with your accusation.

"AND I also did it only to check if it was cold or it's just me," he added to his explanation.

"yes yes, I get it." you nodded, accepting what he said.

"anyways, when I first came here there wasn't any music" he stared at you with a look full of questions.

"that's what I always do when I'm alone here"

"hm? what else do you usually do?" Xiao asked you curiously.

"Sometimes I read books, work on my assignments, or even study. why? do you prefer we listen to my playlist?" you looked away, not caring about his answer.

"not really. I like talking to you"

you widened your eyes at his answer. sure, it was something you hoped he'd say but definitely not something you expected him to say.

"Xiao, are you alright? I think the wind is getting to you," you gazed at him concernedly

"not wind, it's the alcohol. I got dragged into a party earlier, tho I managed to leave early after drinking a few cups"

"well, are you feeling alright now-" "yup"
he cut you off, indicating you not to talk about it more.

a deafening silence followed next as you were still stunned by what he said. a silence you hadn't felt with him in quite a long time.

drunk words are sober thoughts, huh?

"there'll be a lantern rite festival in a week. wanna be my lantern rite date?" your heart thumps loudly in your chest while you kept your composure on the outside, shooting your shot.

his swing stopped as he thought of your offer before answering you, "No, I don't like crowded places," and continued swinging.

you blinked a few times before rethinking all your life choices, too stunned by the direct rejection. you let out an awkward laugh realizing the silence that follows.

if that wasn't impulsive of me...

it wasn't even worth a shot WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING???

you opened your mouth to speak again before closing it again a few times, not sure of what you're trying to do before deciding to bet on the 50/50.

"Xiao, did you know? the farthest edge of this park ends with a cliff, and a few meters below is the heart of the city. if it's that, we can watch the lantern rite on our own"

you closed your eyes in embarrassment, waiting for his answer patiently. right before you regret your life choices for the second time, Xiao answered you.

"I didn't know that, I'm not from here. But if it's only the two of us then I guess I don't mind"