Surprises!

A/N: Do you like surprises? oh yeah, I changed the backstory a bit so you might wanna check not-so-good-memories :)

saying your goodbyes, your finger clicked the hang-up button after an hour of telling your friends how your date went and telling them you're too tired to join their sleepover.

your exhausted body laid itself down on your sofa, moving a few inches away from where you were sitting to get to the colder side of the sofa.

Putting your phone on the table beside you, your eyes caught a glimpse of Xiao's tote bag. it didn't take more than a second for you to grab your phone and search for Xiao's name.

Mr. jacket lover

02:35 A.M.

good morningg

just wanna say

you left your tote bag at
my place

attachment.img

can I get it back on Friday? 

my friends are over
so I can't rlly leave

the usual place?

yeah

sure sure :)

alr then
ty
liked by you

you smiled irritatedly at his responses. this guy is even drier in text

days passed without you even realizing it, and you had even lost count of how many days had passed since you'd been at home, enjoying your break.

much to your dismay, your eyes opened as you were getting irked at the sound you thought was your alarm that you supposedly had turned off.

realizing it was the special notification you put for Xiao's messages, your hands quickly searched your nightstand for your phone.

Mr. jacket lover

05:00

y/n

I can't meet you today 

I caught a cold

should I just bring it to you?

if you don't mind me
visiting you ofc

idm

would tmr be fine?

I don't wanna risk you
catching it too

tmr evening?

sounds good

kk

get well soon xiao

liked by Mr. jacket lover

the time you have awaited came without you even noticing it, the time you'd be meeting Xiao again. 

arriving on Xiao's doorstep, you mindlessly clicked on the doorbell, waiting for whoever was inside to open the door and let you in.

to say that you were taken aback was an understatement. a long-dark-brown-haired man stood in front of you, a face you hadn't seen in a very long time.

"greetings, y/n. Long time no see," the man in front of you greeted, his amber eyes staring right into yours with no emotion displayed.

not even finished processing the information you just got, your first instinct was to turn back and pretend you saw nothing. 

"y/n," there it was again, a call of your name that couldn't have been from anyone else.

you stopped to take a deep breath before turning around to face him once more.

"come in and I'll explain everything," your brother said, already walking toward the couch.

you wordlessly followed him, sitting down beside his figure. it was different, to see your brother with a calm expression instead of the expressionless face he used to have.

"I'm not dead" Zhongli started.

"I can see that. I'm not blind" you replied, crossing your arms while looking him dead in the eyes.

"it must've been hard for you," 

your eyebrows furrowed in annoyance at his words. "No shit, Sherlock. there was a reason why you left."

"yes, it indeed was hard for me too" Zhongli spoke once more, going nowhere with his words.

"was it that hard that you had to resort to faking your death?" you questioned your brother, asking for some sort of assurance that he had to do it.

Zhongli didn't answer you immediately, yet he averted his gaze as if he felt guilty. 

"I must admit, not really," you clenched your fist, feeling your heart drop at his words.

"Well, won't you just tell me why you did that?!" you fumed, unable to understand what Zhongli's motive was

"They wanted to marry you off and I didn't want to go back either," he spoke as soon as you finished talking.

"so what?" you stood up from your seat, far too frustrated to stay still. "you're still my brother, do you think your 'death' wouldn't affect me??"

"It's a win-win situation, y/n," Zhongli defended himself once more.

"Win-win situation my ass. no, it's not. I don't want you to die!" you almost shouted at his words.

"calm down, y/n," Zhongli said before taking the cup of tea in front of him into his hand, taking a sip from it.

"I literally just found out my brother who offed himself is alive this whole time. how do you expect me to take it? calmly??"

"I never expected to meet you again"

"'i NeVEr ExPecTEd tO mEeT yOU aGaIN' you went back to this neighborhood, brother. That's ridiculous.

you could swear you had to stop yourself from laughing if it weren't for the fact that Zhongli wasn't joking.

"y/n, I don't see why you're so worked up. we were never even that close"

"you're still my brother," you blurted out in confusion, not understanding how he couldn't get it. "was I ever even a sister to you?"

"of course, y/n. we have the same blood," you blinked a few times, at a complete loss of words as it dawned on you.

a deafening silence followed his words. putting your thoughts to rest, your mind finally cleared up a bit. you pursed your lips as you prepared yourself to take your leave.

"give the tote bag to Xiao, I'm leaving," you gestured at the tote bag which was the reason you even went here.

Zhongli didn't even move an inch as he saw you open his front door.

"did you know I'm his friend?" you turned your head toward him, a bitter expression painted clearly on your face.

"I suspected it," hearing his words, you had no more hesitation in cutting him off of your life.

"I hate you, Morax" Those were the words that rolled off your tongue as you closed his door.