Not as Planned

y/n 📌
9.28 P.M.

at the usual place?

yup
Read, 9.29

wait
don't tell me you're already there

why would I be?
we're meeting at ten

rightttt
Read, 9.31

truth be told, Xiao was already sitting on his swing with his AirPods on. he purposefully left his house before his best friends arrived.

he glanced at the tote bag he doesn't normally use beside him. a gentle smile appeared on his face thinking of the gift he had prepared for you.

the wind blew past him, reminding him just how cold the night was. he looked up to see the night sky covered by thick clouds.

Xiao swiftly took out his phone from his pocket, turning it on to see his lock screen. his once frowned face calmed down in seconds of realizing he was only 25 minutes away from meeting you.

he stared boredly at his lock screen wallpaper. a simple but beautiful picture of the moon taken from the swing right beside his.

the very picture you took for him when he had to stay home studying for yet another exam.

your favorite song playing from his AirPods took him out of his trance. indeed, Xiao was listening to your favorite playlist that you had shared with him.

Xiao closed his eyes, humming the melody of the song. he came to memorize the song as he listened to it on repeat every time he had something to work on.

the song ended just as quickly. Xiao opened his eyes to check on the time once again. the clock showing it was still a quarter to ten stopped him from hoping to meet you then and there.
yet, the silhouette of you walking toward him from afar was enough to give him hope.

his eyes widened seeing you walk toward him. little did he know, you ran toward him the moment you saw somebody on the swing.

running closer to him, your feet slowed as you had to catch your breath before going to him.

you took no time taking a seat beside him, waving to him silently. him eyeing your outfit while your eyes are glued to his.

a white sleeveless turtleneck topped with a maroon jacket. an outfit that fit him more than it should. you could feel your lungs running breathlessly just looking at the sight of him.

Xiao himself couldn't help but wonder if you could hear his heartbeat that was thumping. it was (un)usual for you to wear (outfit #...). (yet,) you looked so different to him.

"so you did come earlier. it's not 10 yet" you teased him in an attempt to break the awkwardness.

"you came earlier too" Xiao retorted right back.

you shrugged and answered him, "I never said anything about not coming earlier. besides, I was the one who initiated this"

Xiao pursed his lips as he couldn't just say, "I didn't want to get teased by my friends. also, I don't want to keep you waiting"

"Anyway, I have something for you" Xiao finally opened his mouth, his hand reaching for his tote bag.

your eyes widened seeing him taking out a transparent lunchbox containing almond tofu. your hand rushed to get your tote bag, taking out the almond tofu you had prepared for him.

"coincidentally, I prepared the same thing for you," you stated, answering his confused stares.

hearing that, he held out his hand, offering his to you. a slight smile appeared on your face as you took it and quickly put yours in his hand.

Xiao couldn't stop his heartbeat accelerate as he felt your fingers brush his. he ate the almond tofu in his hand in an attempt to drown his feelings away.

yet, it didn't work as your smile only got wider. "do you like it so much?"

Xiao struggled to get the food in his mouth down to his stomach before answering you, "you made this yourself?"

"yeah, I'm glad you like it." you beamed at him as he wasn't the only one who felt over the moon when your fingers touched.

little did you know, he could barely taste the almond tofu as the only thing on his mind is in no way the almond tofu.