It's Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty/ˌ

serənˈdipədē/noun

noun: serendipity

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

you watched Xiao finish his almond tofu as you finished your own. for as long as Xiao hadn't looked at you, he had managed to slow down his heartbeat. 

yet, he could feel that something was wrong. he just couldn't figure out what was wrong. on the other hand, you were too focused on him and his weird behavior.

so much that you didn't realize the almond tofu you were eating was supposed to be the snack that will accompany you later on that night.

Xiao boredly took out his phone to check the time as he hadn't gathered enough courage to strike up a conversation. 

he blinked a few times making sure he read it correctly.

"It's still ten o'clock. I think we gotta do something to spend time" he muttered mindlessly, snapping you out of your thoughts.

your eyes widened realizing the oh-so-obvious truth. "Xiao, I think we're gonna have to buy some snacks," you mentioned.

Xiao deadpanned realizing the same thing you just realized. "right..."

you picked up your tote bag from the ground and wasted no time standing from your swing and waited for him to do the same thing.

Xiao quickly did the same and headed straight outside the park without waiting for you. taken aback, you ran to catch up to him although it wasn't needed.

"What was that for??" you asked him, frowning your face.

"Nothing just wanted to see you chase after me" he grinned, not thinking you would see his facial expression.

"was that supposed to be a pick-up line?" you questioned him again, feeling a mix of annoyance and butterflies in your stomach.

"I wanna try something new today. was it that bad?" he answered you, sounding as dejected as possible.

"I'm not saying anything but it wasn't so bad" you uttered to comfort him.

hearing that, Xiao smirked in your direction and ran, leaving you who was dumbfounded after falling for his little tricks.

"hey!" you yelled at him as you ran after him through the empty streets of your neighborhood.

Xiao stopped a few meters before the convenience store. you panted, trying to catch your breath with your hand resting on his arm while he laughed his ass off at you, trying to catch his own breath.

parting your hands, you walked into the convenience store with him trailing behind you. you took a sharp breath looking at empty aisles.

'I can spend all my life here just looking at all these snacks'

you glanced to your side, seeing Xiao making his way to the drinks section. you wasted no more time getting some snacks as you realized Xiao would not wait for you.

it didn't take long for your feet to stand beside his in front of the cashier. the cashier scanned Xiao's drinks as he observed the two people in front of him.

"you didn't get any drinks," Xiao mindlessly commented.

"well, you only brought two cans of monster," you retorted. just a tad bit upset that you didn't have more time to stroll through the aisles.

Xiao only shrugged at your words as he paid for his drinks. his hands swiftly took his drinks and stood behind your figure.

you took out your wallet in advance, putting some money on the counter while looking back at Xiao's nonchalant expression.

your dominant hand swiftly took the bag full of chips from the cashier's hands the moment he let out a hinting cough, ever so slightly brushing against his fingers.

the cashier amusedly count the money you handed him while observing Xiao's slightly irked expression toward you.

he coughed once more making both you and Xiao simultaneously turn your head toward the cashier behind the counter.

he handed you the change which you gladfully accepted. his hand grazed yours once more. yet this time, even you could feel it was slightly intentional.

Xiao didn't even wait for you to put them into your wallet before walking out of the convenience store. "thank you for shopping here!" the cashier chimed brightly.

you sighed before following your date and took a seat on a chair beside his. you observed your date's gloomy expression.

"seems like you're too tired to tease me now," you joked, trying to lift up his mood.

"yeah. it was tiring," Xiao replied, not even sparing you a glance.

an uncomfortable silence engulfed you before Xiao suddenly turned his head toward you. "do you have any hand sanitizer?"

"yeah, why?" you asked him, taking your hand sanitizer out of your tote bag and offering it to him.

your brows irked watching him pour some on his hand before pouring some on yours too, "it seems that the cashier has a cough. unhygienic."

before you could even express your confusion, both you and Xiao froze up feeling tiny drips of water on your shoulders. 

you reflexively stood up from your seat, holding out your hand to make sure. Xiao shared a knowing glance as he opened his mouth, "it's going to rain."

your breath hitched as Xiao grabbed your hand and started running. you managed to keep up with being suddenly dragged by sheer luck. 

Xiao looked back at you as the drizzle got heavier. "can we go to  your house?" 

"yeah!" you shouted back, trying to sprint even faster.

your heart pounded even harder as you got more nervous every second that passed. 

it was as if getting a wisp of hope when you noticed the oh-so-familiar turn that will bring you to your house in no time.

Xiao huffed as he leaned on your doorway, peering over at you unlocking your front door. neither of you wanted to look back to see the pouring rain you barely managed to escape.