✍Third wedding night

Two years later

Kira

"Mother, the King sent gifts again!". Jaeigh jumped up and down in excitement.

I looked over to where he was pointing at and saw a pile of boxes at the centre of the living room.

"Jaeigh, take off your shoes and help your sister with hers".
We had just returned from Madame Aimee's house, she threw a feast to celebrate the birth of her grandson. Little did I know that Jared was up to his old ways.
"What does this man want to achieve?--". I asked aloud as I observed the boxes closely. "--sending men into my home like this? I better go check for my valuables".
I ran to my bedroom and checked my cupboard to make sure, but heaved a sigh of relief on finding my pieces of jewellery and money in their right places.

I returned to the living room, Jaeigh and Kora were already playing with the boxes.
He lifted one of them. "Help us open it, please".

"Jaeigh, keep that box. We are returning them. Why are you looking at me like that? We don't need his gifts".
I took Kora in my arms and held Jaeigh's hand. "It's time for a bath, you two".

A year ago, Jared came to me to confirm Jaeigh's paternity. I affirmed his suspicions but refused to confuse Jaeigh by telling him that the man he knew as his father was not. I felt like I would be betraying Edrin's memory if I allowed Jaeigh to become close to Jared, so I begged Jared to stay away from us. He never wanted to stay away from his son, but I insisted on it. Now, every month, he sends gifts to Jaeigh and Kora despite my objection. He is so stubborn, Jaeigh took after him in more ways than one. But Sunia, she is such a sweetheart, I love her dearly, irrespective of whatever happened between her mother and me.

***

"Mother, there is a letter".
Jaeigh came to where I was seated at the dining table to give me an envelope.

"I told you to stay away from those boxes".
I grabbed the envelope. It had the King's seal. I brought out the letter inside and it read:

__________________________________________
Dear Aunty Kira,
You are invited to my birthday, which is the last day of this week. It would mean the world if Jaeigh and Kora came, so please, bring them. My father will send the royal carriage... Don't be late!

Sun
____________________________________________

I smiled... She is such a darling. How can I refuse that?

"Mother, what does it say?"

"Hmm, You are so eager, aren't you?".
I drew him close and kissed his forehead.
"Sun is celebrating her birthday this week and wants us to come".

He jumped up and down like he does every time he is happy.
"Is Kora is invited?". His eyes widened in curiosity.

"We are all invited--"

"Yay!!"

"Shhh, you will wake up your sister. It is past your bedtime, young man".

~
I laid down between him and Kora. Since Edrin's death, we all slept in the same bed.
After much effort, he calmed down and fell into slumber.
With my children sleeping in both my arms, I felt contented. This is the life I wanted and have been blessed with.

°

°

°

Sun's birthday party

Jaeigh, Kora and I arrived at the castle in the royal carriage a day before the celebration. That way, I could help with planning.
Throughout the preparation, Sunia asked for my input in almost everything, she is such a wise little girl.