18 II The call

George put his apron above his head and tied it around his waist, as he had done so many times before. But this time it seemed different, it felt different. Maybe because it was of all that had happened at home, or- Dream. 

Yeah, it was probably that.

But there was something tugging at his hand when he turned to start his shift with Karl. It felt like he was dragging forgotten souls into the light, and all they could do to return the favour was quietly whisper words into his ear. Easy to hear, but hard to understand. 

He shook his head and walked out of the employees lounge, and there waited Karl, giggling at his phone. George smiled at him and walked over, looking down at the phone to see he was texting someone. 

"Who's that?" George grinned, already knowing the answer. 

Karl lifted his head and made eye contact with the brunette. "Shut up." He muttered. 

George fell into a pit of laughter, even having to clutch his stomach as a result. Karl only rolled his eyes and his cheeks grew pink. "Looks like sapnap's given you his number-" George said, dragging on his last word. 

Karl playfully punched him on the shoulder, and turned off his phone. "Atleast I'm brave enough to make a move!" He grinned, even though he knew this conversation was nothing but silly. 

"Only when we told you to. And even then, you only did it last week!" George crossed his arms grinning, and Karl scoffed, smiling. "Whatever."

He opened up his phone again and looked down, typing something. When he seemed to get a response he grinned up at George. "When're you going to make a move on him?" 

It was George's turn to scoff. "You're ridiculous." 

"Am I?" He grinned. 

"Yes, defiantly." He hummed. "This is about you and him, not me and him, so go on." 

Karl only smiled and shrugged. "What's there to say? He's a really nice guy. He's apparently 17 and he owns a puppy, he loves playing sports-" 

"What a jock!" George interrupted. 

"Says you." 

The two fell into laughter once again and Karl was the first to speak after that. "But he is a really nice guy, I really like him." George nodded, and placed his hand on the fluffy brunette's shoulders. "Then go for it." 

Karl turned to his phone and began to type, a blush forming on his face. "I've been meaning to for a while." 

----------

George, after work and when he got home, finally realised what the feeling was. It was not what had happened with his mother, Karl talking about his crush all day, or even Dream. No. It was none of those. 

What was bothering George was inside a small number on his phone, and the letter he had read not long ago. 

Thoughts swarmed into his mind as he thought of Wilbur, Tommy, Tubbo- They would've grown up by now, surely they wouldn't remember him. But Wilbur might, Will was like an old elephant who remembered everything that ever happened to him. 

They never forgot bad. So they must've remembered George. 

But yet, he felt a hollow hole in his chest where his heart should be beating. He didn't want to come to realise his friends had forgotten about him and moved on with they're lives, a person coming to replace him. Because truthfully, George didn't want them to forget. 

But George did. He forgot. 

He stopped calling because of all the stress he was put through, stress he couldn't seem to forget about even when the authority who demanded it was no longer a threat. He wanted to call them, he wanted to see how they were doing. But the pain it would cause him if his friends would not remember him would be a hole in his chest he would've never been able to fill.