Chapter 8

Ace was not stupid as Army said he was just because he said that he wanted to go after Whitebeard.

Alright, maybe he was.

Army knew the man better than he did but he wanted to impress his dad.

His father was the pirate king and Ace knew he had to come close to that even if Army and his father himself said he did not have to.

Roger even stated that Ace would be a marine and he would still be proud of him but Ace was stubborn even more than his mother and that's how he ended up in Whitebeard's ship with the geezer trying to get him to be his son.

He thought back about what had happened, them coming to an island to find the Shichibukai Jimbe waiting for them, telling him that he wouldn’t just let him go after Whitebeard. They had fought, for a very long time, multiple days even, before they had won against the fishman.

He sighed as he sat in his hiding place.

He came here to take the man’s head, to let the world know he had it in him to be a great pirate. The shitty old man decided that he still had wanted him as a son but he refused.

Roger was his only father.

He wanted to be like Roger and have his own crew and Ace did not want to end up in his father 's rival's crew.

He continued to refuse to be a son to the old man while Marco talked with him.

“Just leave me alone!” His voice yelled out, tension clear.

Marco had rounded the corner of the corridor he was walking down, watching as one of the former Spade pirates tried to console his former captain.

Deuce, his first mate, had tried to make Ace sleep as he had not gotten any at all.

Still with his stubborn nature.

“You haven’t been sleeping and we’re worried-“ The man was saying, but Ace was having none of it.

“You’ve sold yourself to Whitebeard, worry about his sleep instead of mine.” Ace crossed his arms over his chest and Marco had to admit he looked exhausted.

The man gave up, sighing heavily and leaving Ace to it.

“He’s still your nakama,” Marco said and Ace’s head whipped round to face him, scowl forming when he realised who it was.

“You shouldn’t be so harsh on him, yoi.”

Ace remained silent and Marco decided to show a little pity.

Ace needed sleep and, perhaps, if he was well rested, he’d finally give up on killing Whitebeard.

At this point, Ace had given it up for a while mainly because Army called and lectured him on hitting a wounded or sick man so he didn't attack the old man.

Ace hated to admit it but the blonde was attractive....

Something about him draw Ace to him.

Marco looked at him once more.

Holding his hand out to him, Ace looked at him for a few seconds before taking it.

He spent the night flying around the ship on a Phoenix.

In the morning, Ace had slept in the guy's room with little to no fuss about it. The crew could see the fondness that the two had for each other.

It was not long till Ace decided to join the crew.

Fearing what his father and aunt would think, he called them but instead of disgust or even rage. Roger laughed and said that he chose a wonderful crew to be in, Army agreed and admitted that Whitebeard was an amazing captain and she wished him luck for his romance.

Of course, Army knew everything.

Why does he even tell her anything anymore.

Ace smiled but he needed to let Pops know the truth with the permission of his father of course.

"I just wanted to ask you something first."

Whitebeard hummed, filling his dish with sake as he looked at his, hopefully, newest son.

"What would you do if Gol D. Roger had a son?" Ace asked.

Whitebeard looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"I could care less, we’re all children of the sea on this ship, no matter your parentage, past or future." The jolly old man laughed.

"What would you do if Roger was still alive. Weaker but still living." Ace wondered.

"Ol' Roger? Well I suppose that Army put you up to this."

"W-what."

"I've know that Roger was alive since the day he was supposed to be executed. Though you as his son surprised me but I am honored to have you as a son, Roger calls it a joined partnership and don't steal his son." Edward joked.

Ace smiled.

"Thanks… Oyaji."

"I take it your talk with Oyaji went well then, with such a smile on your face-yoi?" Marco asked after he had left Pops' room.

Ace nodded.

"Yeah it did."

"And we’re glad you made that, yoi." Marco grinned.

Ace hugged him.

He and his crew felt like they belonged there and with his father's and mother's blessing, he would just be Ace.

Though he would like it if Army stopped popping by to bother him about Marco.