Cʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs Mɪʀᴀᴄʟᴇs

Jaxx:

I felt myself glide across the ice, circling around the rink and maneuvering around the various people that had come to skate. Skating had always been a way to make me feel in the Christmas spirit, anyways. It was still two weeks until the big day, but my policy is that as long as it's December, it's not too early to feel in the Christmas spirit. There was a Christmas tree that towered over the skating rink. It was no Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and rink, but it was still quite the sight to see.

I looked around at all the people around me. There were children learning how to skate, couples holding hands and skating, and people like me that had just come to enjoy the scenery and feel in the spirit.

When I looked in front of me, I saw one of the people that had come there just to enjoy it, like I had. He seemed to be doing just that, peacefully skating and looking at the Christmas tree above us. That's when I saw his skate catch onto something - a loose piece of ice!

I watched as he faltered, and it was like slow motion as he began to fall. I quickly skated up to him, catching him from behind and helping him not fall.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked him as he regained his balance, and he turned to me.

"U-um, yeah," he said, probably embarrassed about his fall, as his face turned a soft pink. "Thanks for catching me."

"Yeah, no problem."

I studied him. He had a cyan blue hue of hair, which had a dark gray beanie on top of it. His nose was a little red from the cold, which I'm sure mine was too. He still looked embarrassed, but the pinkness of his cheeks faded, until it was only there because of the cold.

"Erm... Can I buy you a drink in thanks? In light of the holidays, y'know," he offered, not looking at me. I noticed that he was a few inches shorter than me, and I had to look slightly downwards to see him.

"Yeah, sure," I responded, giving him a slight smile, one that he returned.

We got our skates off, and we both walked to a quaint little cafe that was nearby. It was modern-looking, with a bookshelf on the walls, bean bag chairs seated in front of it. There were tables with comfortable chairs, and stools seated at a counter. Best of all, it smelled like fresh coffee.

"What do you want to drink?" the guy asked me, and I looked at the menu until seeing what I wanted.

"Just a peppermint mocha please," I told him. As he went to the counter, I went to find us a seat. I really didn't expect to be having coffee with a stranger that afternoon, but that's how I was spending it. I've gotta say though - something about him made me feel weird. I knew that with anyone else, I probably would've turned down the offer of coffee. But with him, something inside me just wanted to say yes.

I decided to not think too much of it. I decided it was just in light of the holidays, and maybe the fact that he was pretty cute played a part in me saying yes.

I was yanked out of my thoughts when he set a cup down in front of me, steaming with my favorite holiday time coffee. I smiled, sipping the hot liquid slightly.

"Thanks," I said to him, flashing him a smile.

"It's nothing, really. Thank you for catching me!"

"Mhm," I hummed in response. An awkward silence fell between us. I searched my brain for something to say, but I kept coming up with a whole bunch of nothing. What are you supposed to say during brunch with a stranger?

"So, got anything fun planned for the holidays?" he questioned after a while.

"Not really. I was just going to drink hot chocolate and watch Christmas movies," I admitted. "How about you?"