Part 22

~ June before college~

Betty and Jughead had graduated high school but now they were deciding what they needed to do. Betty had gotten into a bunch of colleges, as did Jughead, but all the schools that they got into were at least 1000 miles from each other. But they needed to make a decision. It was late one night while Emma was sleeping, Betty, Jughead and Fp were all sitting in the living room talking about what they wanted to do for college.

Jughead- I think I want to go to UCLA...they have an amazing writing program.

Betty- Well what about Emma and I? That's literally the farthest school away. (tears)

Jughead- We'll figure it out, but Betty...I need to do what's best for me.

She scoffed and looked down at the ground.

Fp- Sweetheart, I know you're technically adults now but you need to be worrying about yourselves, not Emma.

Betty- I'm worrying about both Emma and myself, she is my sister and I am not abandoning her.

Fp- I'm not saying that-

Betty- No, you're just telling me to leave her with you. You've been saying it for months. I know you think this is best for her but it's not, that's why I got us an apartment in New Haven.

Jughead- WHAT?

Betty- I'm going to Yale and she is coming with me.

Jughead- You're crazy!

Betty- Hey! I'm not the one who's going to be flying all the way across the country to go to college. (tears)

Jughead- No, you're just taking a five year old with you!

Fp- Guys calm down.

Betty- HOW CAN I CALM DOWN WHEN YOU'RE BOTH TELLING ME TO LEAVE MY CHILD?! (cries)

Jughead- She is not your child and she is not mine either, she is your dead parents kid! (yells)

Everyone fell silent, but Jughead's expression instantly turned to regret. Tears began pouring down Betty's cheeks but before she could go upstairs she slapped Jughead, hard across the face. Then she ran up to her room.

Fp- You deserved that.

Fp walked past Jughead and went upstairs to Betty's room, quietly knocking on the door.

Betty- W-What? (cries)

Fp- Can I come in?

Betty- I guess. (sniffles)

Fp walked in and sat on the edge of Betty's bed. He took her hand and caressed it softly before looking into her eyes.

Fp- Sweetie, I never meant to make it seem like you couldn't take Emma with you, I just want you to be able to just enjoy college and not have to worry about her 24/7.

Betty- I've been basically taking care of her since I was 13, I'll be fine. (tears)

Fp- I know you will, I just wanted to give you the option.

Betty- Well, thank you...but we're moving next month. If you want you can tell Jughead because I am not talking to him again. (tears)

Fp- Betty, I don't think what he said was right, in fact, I am glad you slapped him, but I think he said it because he doesn't want you to leave.

Betty- But he's leaving too. (tears)

Fp- Yes, but he told me he wanted you guys to go with him.

Betty sat there silently for a moment before looking back up at Fp.

Betty- Well then he could've told me that instead of yelling at me saying that she's not my child and that she's my dead parents kid. (tears)

Fp- I agree.

Betty- If he really wants to talk to me then he will, but I am not going to be the one crawling back to him.

Fp- Understandable...I'm going to head to be, if you need anything just let me know.

Betty nodded and Fp left...but now Betty's feelings had changed, she wasn't upset at Jughead, she was angry and disappointed.

~A month later~

Betty and Jughead hadn't spoken to each other once since that night. Emma still called him daddy and played with him all the time but she knew something weird was happening with them so she just did things with them separately...but now she and Betty are moving away to start their new life.

Fp- Please be safe and if you ever need anything I will be on the first train to see you.

Betty- Thank you. (giggles)

Fp- I love you both so much.

Betty- I love you too...Emma, can say thank you and I love you?

She shook her head and began to cry. Yes she was only a five year old but she was smart enough to know that they were leaving. Fp took the little girl into his arms and kissed her head before hugging her tightly.

Fp- Don't cry sweetie, I'll see you very soon.

She nodded and he placed her down, but then she ran to Jughead who was standing further back. She jumped into his arms and let him pick her up, holding her tightly. But after a moment of them hugging, they needed to go.

Betty- Come here baby, we need to go.

She nodded sadly and walked back over to Betty who instantly picked her back up. Then they got onto the train with their bags. Emma waved goodbye to the two men standing there while Betty just kept walking, she couldn't let herself look back at Jughead...but before they knew it, they were both gone. Then Fp looked at Jughead.

Fp- Why didn't you say anything to her?

Jughead- If she wanted to speak to me then she would've.

Fp sighed and they both went home. But then soon Jughead left for California. And they were on opposite sides of the country not even thinking about the other person. At least, that's what we thought.