4. looking forward

The party went off without a hitch. The concert was stellar, the games were fun, and the birthday boy was over the moon about getting to golf with Monty. Everyone had fun and you received countless compliments as well as a few tips from satisfied customers. Your boss wasn't arround to see most of it but you're sure he'll be happy with the results. And now that the last kids have left the pizza plex you can't wait to go talk with the animatronics and share your excitement!

You throw open the doors to the backstage area and greet the animatronics, "that was awesome everyone!" You cheer and they all turn around to see you.

"That was the best party we've ever had here!" Monty proclaims and pumps a fist in the air.

"You're just saying that because it was you themed," Roxy sighs but gives you a high five for all your hard work.

"I can't wait for the next event!" Chica says, clapping her hands together in excitement. "How will you top this?"

"We'll have to see, but I've got some ideas and tricks up my sleeve," you say with a joking wink and finger gun.

Freddy is the last to step forward to see you, but when he does he picks you up and spins you around in the air like you're light as a feather. To him you probably are. "Great job superstar! I knew you could do it!" He congratulates. You don't notice the other animatronics sharing a knowing look as you laugh with Freddy.

"I couldn't have done it without all of you," you remind them and their voices overlap as they thank you enthusiastically.

"This is sure to be the first of many successful events with you here," Freddy predicts. It's nice to picture how many amazing parties you'll get to plan at the plex.

"I sure hope so. I see a bright future ahead of us!" you say to everyone, but find yourself looking at Freddy in particular. You have a seat on the couch and everyone else sits down as well.

"So when's the next party? And am I their favorite?" Roxy asks, leaning forward as she waits for your answer.

"It's this saturday. The party is for a pair of twins sixth birthday. One girls favorite is Chica," you tell them and Chica smiles brightly. Roxy on the other hand stomps her foot down so hard you can feel the vibration.

"Roxy, don't be upset. This isn't a competition, you have many fans," Freddy reminds her but she just glowers at the ground and refuses to look at him. Freddy begins to say something else but Monty makes a swiping motion over his neck and Freddy falls silent. It seems this is a sensitive subject.

You clear your throat to get their attention again, "um, I didn't finish. The other twins favorite animatronic is you Roxy," as soon as you say this, Roxy's eyes widen and she jumps up with a triumphant cheer.

"See? I knew I was the greatest!" She boasts, confidence restored for the time being.

"You're great either way Roxy," you remind her and Freddy nods, silently agreeing with your statement. Monty and Chica also offer some encouraging words to their friend, but Roxy seems pretty focused on the thought of being the co-star of a party. You can tell you're not going to get much work done with everyone right now. "I think we're all pretty tired from this party. Let's rest up and come back tomorrow energized and ready to go, alright?"

"Sounds like a plan! I'm going to charge up, all that golfing drained my energy!" Monty says and heads out to his changing room. Chica and Roxy are quick to follow behind.

Now it's just you and Freddy, sitting in the comfortable silence. Simultaneously, you both move a bit closer on the couch so your shoulders touch, though his are considerably higher than yours. However, it does make his shoulder a nice place to rest your quite tired head. "I hope you are not overworking yourself," freddy comments, breaking the silence.

"No, I've worked longer hours. You wouldn't believe how demanding some brides can be," you chuckle, remembering your wedding planning days. It was lovely sometimes and hellish other times. "Baby showers can be even worse though,"

"I had no idea you have planned so many events," Freddy admits, sounding quite impressed with your work. "What is your favorite?"

"That's a tough question! I liked weddings, and conventions were fun as well, but I like this a lot too," you tell him and he nods along, showing his interest in what you have to say, "I guess I really like making people happy. Even though I don't have any of my own kids, when I see how happy the kids are here it warms my heart in a similar way,"

Freddy smiles, but does not look over at you. There's a subtle sadness behind his otherwise cheerful expression, almost as if he understands what you mean personally. Then he speaks, "you are very genuine y/n, with the guests and with all of us in the band, it's one of your most admirable qualities,"

"Thank you, I'm only trying to be honest," you respond, and shift your arm so you can hold his hand.

"I think you helped Roxy more than you realized today," Freddy tells you, turning his head down to look at you. You tilt your head to the side in confusion so he clarifies. "I fear her competitive nature sometimes undermines her confidence, but your kind words may help her overcome some of these feelings,"

"I see, I would hate for her to feel insecure," you speak softly. You knew the animatronics were complex, but you see now their emotions are just as intricate as humans.

"I have tried to talk to her but she is not the most receptive to my advice," Freddy confides in you, he seems ashamed that he has been unable to help her.

"Hey, at least you're trying. Sometimes the best thing we can do is reach out and be there if someone needs us," you tell him and cuddle a little closer to him. Freddy hums quietly in response and squeezes your hand. You glance at your watch, you have an hour and a half till closing time so you don't have to worry too much. You don't fall asleep but you let yourself close your eyes for a bit.

Suddenly the door is thrown open and slams into the wall behind. You jolt as your eyes snap open and Freddy wraps an arm around you protectively. Then you both realize it's only your boss, and feel less on edge. You're not sure what you were expecting to be honest. "Good job on the party y/n, one of the guests contacted me about setting up a meeting with you and... wait, what are you doing?"

Your boss finally looks up to see you sitting with Freddy and you're not sure what to tell him. It doesn't seem strange to you, but he clearly thinks it is. You scoot away from Freddy as you answer him, "we were discussing an upcoming party,"

"Why so close?" He asks and tosses a potential client profile into your lap.

This time Freddy answers, "y/n's voice was tired from the long day of work," he lies but your boss shrugs and seems to buy it.

"But why aren't you recharging like the others?" He suddenly remembers, and crosses his arms at you both. You and Freddy both look at each other awkwardly and your boss sighs, "nevermind, just get going. That goes for both of you, especially y/n,"

"Of course boss, I'll be out before lockdown," you promise and stand up from the couch, albeit reluctantly.

Your boss approaches you and speaks quietly, clearly intending for Freddy not to hear, "the plex has been... strange at night, move quick," he pulls back then hands you a security badge that will let you through the tunnels under the plex.

Then he turns and leaves as quickly as he arrived, heading home for the night no doubt. "I guess I can use the tunnels now," you tell Freddy.

"Those will be very useful, I will show you how to use them sometime. They can be intimidating without a guide," Freddy offers and you're happy to take him up on that. But there won't be time tonight for tours. For now you must hurry home and get some must needed rest before coming up with a plan for your next events and the rising tensions at work.

But plans can wait for a moment, "Want to walk me out?" You ask and hold your hand out.

Freddy smiles and takes your hand, "I'd love to,"