16. on the run

"Hurry, we need to get out of here!" Freddy shouts and opens his chest hatch so Gregory can hop in. Gregory scrambles into the storage space and soon Freddy is off running at top speed. You begin to sprint so you can keep up and escape Vanny, wherever she's coming from.

It feels like she's everywhere as her voice bounces off each wall and taunts you as you try to get away. You feel dizzy and your vision tunnels in and out, but you keep running. Stopping now would mean accepting defeat, and that's never going to happen. You push forward as Vanny laughs at you. The end of the tunnle comes in sight and you can see the elevator. You're nearly there as a wave a nausea hits you. The floor tilts and you trip over yourself, hitting the ground. You look behind to see Vanny at the end of the hall, slowly stalking closer as she waves a knife like a baton. You pull yourself up as your vision goes in and out again. You hear running behind you and keep a hand on the wall for support but your knees go out again.

Suddenly, strong arms pull you up to your feet, "do not give up now!" Freddy encourages you and helps pull you down the hall and into the elevator. Gregory hops out of Freddy and frantically mashes the rise button and the doors slowly shut.

Vanny begins to close in but the doors are nearly shut now. Then she throws the knife. You grab Gregory and hit the deck as the knife slips between the doors and bounces off the back wall, clattering to the ground. Then the elevator begins to rise and the buzzing fades away. You pinch your eyes shut then open them again and ask, "is everyone ok?"

"Barely!" Gregory jokes to hide how scary the situation was to experience.

Freddy offers you both a hand and pulls you up, "we should contact the others," he says while scanning both you and Gregory for injuries.

Gregory turns on his fazwatch first, "have you guys found Vanessa because Vanny found us!" He exclaims.

"We just got to the main area of the plex but there's no sign of her," Monty answers.

"Is anyone hurt?" Chica asks frantically.

"No, we're safe now," you answer and hear a chorus of three sighs of relief from the other end of the call.

"Vanny appears to have had done no physical damage to either of you," Freddy informs you and Gregory as he completes the scan and his eyes return to normal.

"But for some reason she has an effect on us," you drum your fingers on your crossed arms.

"Maybe you should leave Vanny to us?" Monty suggests, not because he doesn't belive in you though, "since we're less effected,"

"That may be the best course of action," Freddy agrees with Monty.

While Gregory and Freddy talk with the others you bend down to pick up the knife on the floor. It's not a throwing knife, just a regular chef's knife. In fact, it looks like the kind Fazbear restaurants stock their kitchen with. There are so many of them that Vanny could have easily stolen the weapon from any of the numerous kitchen in the plex and management would be none the wiser, "but why use a knife?" You ask aloud and Freddy looks over at you.

"What?" He tilts his head to the side.

"If Vanny is Vannesa why not use one of her night guard weapons? And if she's an animatronic why not use natural strength?" You clarify and Freddy taps his foot as he thinks.

"Maybe it's to confuse everyone?" Gregory suggests with a shrug.

"It would make it harder to connect Vanny and Vannessa," Freddy notes as the elevator slows and reaches the top.

"If she wanted to hide that she shouldn't have picked the name Vanny. Just saying!" Gregory teases and doesn't quite laugh, but he does exhale extra hard.