9. distractions and daycare

Crashing, scraping, heavy breathing, and pounding heart beats, all sounds blend together as you run. The only thing that really stick out is when Chica squawks loudly. You glance back and lock eyes with her, "Chica, I dont know what's going on but please listen to me," you plead and she looks at you like you're strangers. You might as well be now.

"Our friendly security staff can help!" She says cheerfully then starts running at you. You don't try to negotiate any more and set off at a sprint. You glance over to see Gregory rushing to get complimentary access passes into the plex. You hope he grabs an extra for you. He'll have to upgrade them in customer service but you trust Freddy will tell him that.

You hear footsteps getting closer and remember you're currently being chased by a dangerous animatronic. You have to keep her focused on you or she might remember Gregory is her top priority, "come on Chica, I thought we were friends! Can't we talk this out?" You throw a balled up map at her. It bounces off without leaving so much as a scuff, not that you expected it to.

Chica tilts her head to the side, almost like she remembers you but quickly snaps back to chasing you. You groan, wishing you'd spent more time working on cardio since it seems you'll be running for awhile, "Freddy, are you there?" You flip your fazwatch to life to talk.

"I am still charging but I can communicate with you and Gregory," his voice comes through and fills you with relief.

"Is he alright?" You ask and duck behind a large pot to catch your breath.

"Yes, he is working on upgrading his pass," Freddy says and the line crackles for a second.

Then a second voice joins the call, "aw, it's just an old hippo magnet!" Gregory complains, much to your confusion.

"I'm sorry, but you can use it to disrupt the upgrade machine," Freddy informs Gregory, clarifying things for you as well, "y/n, you should try to do the same,"

"I'm on my way, going stealth now," you tell them both then silence your watch. Chica is wandering aimlessly now that she's lost track of you both.

You stay low and move fast as you exit your hiding spot. You hide behind cleaning carts and pots then jump up to grab the pass Gregory left behind for you. Then you swipe into the main facility, silently cursing your useless employe badge. You hop into a cart to hide when Chica looks over at the sound of the machine. You hold your breath as she walks by then hop out and run up the escalator and into the shop.

"There you are! I was starting to think Chica got you," Gregory greets you from behind the counter.

"I made it in once piece, I'll call it a win," you hand him your pass and he inserts them both into the machine. He places the hippo magnet on the machine and the screen glitches out.

It dings, then spits out two updated passes. Gregory picks them up and groans unhappily. You look over his shoulder and quickly understand why, "aw man, it's some kind of daycare pass!" He complains, surely thinking he's too grown up for such a thing. But you're definitely too grown up for it.

"That is great news! I will meet you both in the daycare," Freddy is much happier than both you and Gregory. You share an exasperated look with him then tuck you pass in your pocket.

"I'm sure we can find something useful there," you tell him, trying to regain a positive attitude, "plus we get to see Freddy!"

"Alright, let's hurry over before Chica comes and finds us," Gregory says then vaults the counter and heads for the exit. You follow close behind. Gregory flashes his light on and off in dark patches to save power.

Thankfully, you're able to make it to the daycare entrance without running into Chica or any other animatronics. The gate slides open and you slip inside before it closes again. You look up at the giant statue of the resident animatronics. It always seemed like an odd choice to you, little kids would like a colorful statue far more than the almost intimidating gold one. But you're an event planner, not a designer, so no one asked you.