35| the victim of mom's cooking

Sarah

***

We arrive at my house which is literally the next street to Rine's house which only took less than a minute to get there. I receive a text from Levine telling me she arrived safe because she knew how paranoid I could be.

I text her back and shut my phone once the text is delivered. "Welcome to my crib," is all that comes out of my stupid mouth. Ugh see this is why I don't say a lot of thing to Darek. I'll end up embarrassing myself and that's the last thing I wanted. I just craved the whole ground swallowed me and he'd forget I ever said that. "I like it, it's pretty cool." My mom was a doctor and my dad basically owned his own company of jets.

So you can imagine how large it was, definitely not as big as Levine's. Sheesh. Her mom used to be a plastic surgeon but now she's helping the needy. Opening her own foundation- that woman was a role model. I don't care. It was crazy because Levine was my neighbor.  Right next door from me and we technically lived in the same area.

"I would ask if there's anything you want to drink or snack on while we study but I take it you don't feel like it?" I say because of the snacks we had back at Rine's. "I mean," he trails off. "Sure. Why not?"

Because-

"Exactly why not Sarah? A guys always hungry," my brother enters and that's the moment I feel like I won't be able to even have this study session alone with Darek. Not that I wanted to be alone with him and not that I didn't-

"I'll leave you kids alone. Have fun studying," I glare at him as he walks up the stairs and there's only amusement radiating off his whole body. Whatever.

"So uh-" I look back at  Darek who's looking at the house I live in. "Where are your parents?" I freeze. My who now? For a second there it was like I lost my identity and I didn't even know my last name. Darek meeting my parents now was not the plan. Yet they were here.

Damn it.

I should've stayed at Rine's where I would not be embarrassed. "Honey is that you?"

Oh brother.

Darek still hadn't fully come in yet. He was literally still behind the door- awaiting for I don't know what. "There they are," I mutter once I heard a voice that belonged to a female. I walk a little further in so she can see me and it's shocks me when I see her in an apron, with heating gloves on. "Mom you're cooking?"

"Yes I am," My heart gets stuck in my pipeline. "Don't be rude and let your friend come in,"

"Ms Belair," he nods. "Oh dear, don't call me that. Call me Esther."  he nods at her with a smile and my heart melts. "Darek," he introduces himself.

Oh no.

"Ohh! I know who you are,"

No, no you don't. Pretend you don't know him mom. "You do?" Darek asks shooting her a questioning look.  "How could I forget," she smiled widely. "You're Sarah's-"

"Classmate. My classmate." My mom looks at me, her eyes searching for something in mine and then her eyes widen. "Well then," she adverts her gaze. "Want to have some dinner? I'm cooking," she says like it's something to be proud of.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my mom but her cooking... it wasn't the best. Levine an Rine have already suffered under her cooking. Darek didn't have to, too. "Mom I don't think that's necessary,"

"Sarah don't be rude. The boy must be starving," she says dragging him along to the kitchen. "You want to eat one of my specials?"

"Yeah, why not."

Was that his favorite way of answering? Cause boy was he going to regret it.

Once we arrive in the kitchen I spot my dad somewhere in the kitchen, looking after the pots. That included all the food my mother cooked. "Hey dad," I give him a hug. "Hey sweetie," he says planting a kiss on my forehead. "Our daughter brought somebody over Mark,"

Mother.

"Oh yeah?" Dad raises his brow at me. My mother had no problem when it came to me and boys. She was naturally a happy and bubbly person that wanted everybody else to be happy. But dad... I wasn't too sure. I step away from my dad when Darek came into the view. His emerald orbs were glistening. "Darek this is my dad and dad this is -"

"Your boyfriend?" I almost choke on my saliva. Why did my parents have to be so forward?

"Wha- 'Dad this Darek' Was all  I was going to say."

"Wouldn't be so ba-"

"Mom," she pouts.  "Nice to meet you sir," Darek shakes my dad's hand and thankfully there wasn't much tension.  My  Mom happily clasps her hands together and asks, "Alright who wants food?" And Darek is the only one who says, 'I do'

I turn back around to face my dad. "Why did you let her cook?"

"Sarah there was nothing I could do about it. She was so excited that you were bringing over a boy and I just simply let her be," I sigh knowing there was nothing I could possibly do about it.  I couldn't even order pizza cause that would be so rude of me.

"What's smelling family?" my brother comes in, in the same outfit he was in a  few minutes ago. 'What's smelling' is what he said instead of a proper way of saying it.  He could form it into sentences and actually say, "Who's cooking or what's cooking."

See? Basic.

"Mom," is my response that makes him stop in his tracks. "Wait what." he looks at me. "How?"

"Ask him because he was with her the whole day," I point my thumb to my dad's chest. Thankfully my mother doesn't hear a word because  she's too invested in talking with Darek which I suppose is one of her stories and Darek's doesn't roll his eyes or seen bored. His listening while helping her set up everything.

"Dad how could you betray us?"

"Exactly," I say siding with my brother. Which is super often when something like this happens. "Kids," he sighs. "It is what it is," he shrugs.

"Alright! Dinners ready!"

~~~~~

Did anyone want an extended chapter to this chapter? I wanted to write one but then I was like... nah.

Okay so guys
5 chapters till this book ends and I can't wait for y'all to reach the end!

If I don't get a comment I will- guys.