19|

S E R I N E

"I'm coming,"

"Can we all come?" 

I release a huge sigh. "Guys, I can handle this on my own," I say for the hundredth time. I was currently on FaceTime with these people who had the stupid idea of calling me.

I mean, who still calls?

"I genuinely feel like she's not over the fact that we called her,"

"You think?"

"Oh get over it," Levine rolls her eyes. "Look who's talking," She then smiles innocently and I shake my head in return. "When is the... you know, coming?"

"Round about in five or so. I just wanna get this assignment over and done with honestly."

"Same," They both say. "At least you guys have better partners," I say.

"Excuse me? I have Amber," she says as a matter of factly. "Oh yeah,"

"Well Nina, seems like you got the best out of all of us," She then shrugs. "Well anyways, I have to go. I'm gonna need those five minutes of preparation,"

"Call if anything,"

"Yup! Right across the street boo,"

I smile lightly. "Ciao," I hang up. I silently stare at the ceiling as thoughts cloud me.

He was coming here.

For the first time in two years. Cockier than ever, with my nemesis as his girlfriend.

It's crazy how quickly things change over the years. Never in a million years did I think I'd see him again. Hearing the death of Denzil didn't bring much sorrow to my soul and I honestly thought that then, everything would be peaceful. I thought that I had finally found peace but his death- it didn't erase the past.

The past that I thought defined me.

Those derogatory comments from him. How little and helpless I felt. How from that moment I let everybody else run over me. I let everybody control me, I had already lost myself because I saw myself from other people's eyes.

Not the good things. Back then I didn't know they treated me the way that they did  because they felt a little bit intimated. Or they wanted to be like me.

Like all bullies do.

The past never failed to make me feel all that once again. It still remains at the back of my head.

Some may say they had the best childhood. Me on the other hand, it was haunting.  Terrifying.

Though I grew.

I definitely am not letting anyone bring me down.

I'm happy and no one's gonna take that from me.

Ding Dong.

The devil's son had arrived. And oh boy, was I gonna have a good time.  I slowly rise up to my feet and slip on my socks before grabbing my phone and heading out.

Once I'm downstairs, I take a slight turn  and make my way to the white door. Even though I knew I was expecting someone, over the years I had grown a habit of looking through the peep hole. They ring the door bell once again and I roll my eyes.

"Has your mother never thought you patience?" I say once the door is opened.

"Low blow," his have clenches and It's then I realized I had hit a nerve. "Think your mother never taught you how to treat your guests. Oh wait! You never even had a mother,"

"At least mine cared enough to risk her own life for me. Yours  on the other hand, didn't even acknowledge your existence." I retort. He takes a step closer to me and in no time are our faces inches apart. Our eyes never leave each other as he tries to search for something in mine.

Something he might've thought was still there. He smirks. I feel something warm on my hand, but before I can remove it, he grabs it. He places my hand on his chest where I can feel his heart beat. It was racing. "Do you feel that?"

He stares at me right in the eye.

"No." I say with my most coldest tone. I remove my hand and stare at him with much hatred.

"She's still there," he mutters yet loud enough for me to hear. "That teenager is still in you, and I'm gonna take her out."

"That will never happen,"

"Never say never, princess,"

***

We had just finished wrapping up and things didn't go as badly as I had expected them to go. I pour myself an icy glass of water so that I could quench my thirst.

Once I'm finished, I turn around only to bump into a chest and for half of water to spill.

"Fuck," They hiss. I internally do the same. "What the fuck were you doing there?"

"Oh I apologize for not looking where I was going," he states sarcastically. I twitch and place the glass on the table with a loud thud. "What do you want?"

"Can I please have something to wipe this off?"

"You might as well take your shirt off," I say but regret it once I find him staring at me.

"Not like that, you fool." I say and throw a towel at him which he catches. "You better be quick, I don't need you here wasting my time." I say.
"Sure thing, your highness," I don't react or respond. I just pour myself a  fresh glass of water and gulp it down quickly. My eye catches his shirtless figure. He had grown of the years, he definitely grew taller.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer,"

"I'll pass." I place the empty glass in the sink. He replaces the white shirt with a black hoodie.  Covering him up completely.

He grabs his bag, and sighs. "Well-"

"Yeah no goodbyes, just go." He takes a moment to look  at me. There's a long silence  before he opens his mouth to speak but the door bell beats him to it.
Must be the pizza guy.

He grabs his backpack, heading to the front door. I follow in suit but stop when he turns around. Once again we were inches apart. His hand lands on my cheek and I don't know how it happens but last thing I remember is his lips crashing into mine.

I freeze, pushing him away as fast as I could. I stare at him, baffled. "You've changed,"

"Great that you noticed, now leave." I cross my arms over my chest. "Not tomorrow," With one last glance, he heads out.

I exhale, covering my face with my hands. My heart like crazy, why?

Before I could have an anger to that, all I hear is, "Oh goody, look who it is." I look towards the direction of the door and freeze.

"Your little boyfriend,"

Great.