39| the victim of surprises (pt.1)

Serine

***

"Oh my gosh you're growing way too fast! You're finally 18," she cries and I roll my eyes at her. "You're impossible, were you like drinking or something?" I ask even though I know she can't drink alcohol. "How can I drink stupid? According to my parents, I'm 18."

I don't even know what facial expression I should make. "You aren't though,"

"Well technically, when you enter into a new year, you're one year older. Until you're official on your birthday." I shake my eyes and sip the creme soda drink. The music booming through the speakers as the neon lights filled the room.

I certainly did not expect this for my 18th birthday. Yet I actually liked it.

The decor definitely went to my two best friends. I didn't even have to ask because I knew how powerful they were in that department.  Everybody was here. That included our close friends, other friends that weren't always in the picture and basically half of the school. I didn't want to witness any sweat, sex- maybe make outs but I didn't want any typical teenage party. Hell no.

"Okay I think it's time to open the presents?"

"Really? Is that a good idea?" I ask not sure if I can open all my presents that were at my front door. Levine made a strick rule of, 'Don't come if you don't have a gift,' Which I feel like should be a motto to every body on earth.

"Okay let's all go to the back yard," by 'all' she really meant; Myself, her, Sarah and the guys.  Once she was done gathering everybody, she held my wrist and dragged me out. Leaving the rest to party amongst themselves.

"Alrighty," Sarah squeals and I'm surprised to see that every one of them had brought gifts. It's not like Liv was going to let anybody with a present in though. So it really shouldn't shock me. I sat down on the grass in my back yard, tilting my head up to catch a glimpse of the night sky.

I was truly grateful for all the friends I had. I had considered them family, after all, because that's what they were. I am the only child so I didn't know what it was like to have any siblings or two have girls- who have supported me and became my best friends. I appreciated the both of them. Darek was like my older as I already said, like a hundred times even though he was only a year older than me. He still treated me like his blood- his year younger sister. Now I didn't wanna say little.

He truly was there when my sister's couldn't be there. He supported me, he fed me brutality but in the best way possible. Yup. We were truly close until I got mad at him for leaving without telling me like a day before. He left for a much needed vacation and did half of his senior year online until he came back not to long ago.

I snap out my thoughts the moment I hear another squeal. "It's time for the giiftts," Sarah jumps happily as she sits down right next to me. "What's up with you? How are this excited?"

"Oh, y'know,"

"No, I don't know." I say folding my arms. Lately Sarah been all- how can I say this... gittery and super energetic- and may I add, a little sassy? Truthfully, I always felt like Sarah had this all inside her. She did. Why the hell am I even fooling myself- she always had. But due to her introversy- which is not a word but ok- and shyness, she couldn't really express that when people had expected it. It just happened.

That was Sarah for you. She was like one of those closed flowers. I don't know what they were called. Not interested in knowing.

"Okay everybody," I hear other familiar voices. "time for the gifts."

ugh. Just why did Levine have  to always interrupt  when I was about to get the tea?

"So who is going to start?"