06| refreshing

S E R I N E

Finally two years later

Life.

My life.

Life was treating me much better. But I still missed her, every time the sun was out, I saw her. It reminded me of her. It was like it was her- she was that sunshine. Summer had even become my favorite season because I'd wait for the sun to come out. The sun was now the best friend I could never reach.

It made sense right?

Right.

The first few weeks without her were so gloomy. It was like everyone around me was in their own dark universe. Everyone had to cope with it in their own way- it took us all individually a long time. Six months felt like 6 days, literally. Time was going so fast but it felt like it was going- painfully slow.

I've never wished death upon anyone, anyone but it felt good to know that I was safe. Denzil was no longer a living human being. He was gone and deceased. He was no longer haunting me. It's like his death was a breathe of fresh air- I knew how someone could easily twist my words and make it seem like I was evil, but that wasn't it. He disappeared in my nightmares, I stopped hearing his voice, his threats no longer kept me in an invisible cage, his twisted self no longer had control over my mind.

As soon as we all graduated- I needed an escape. A different kind of escape. I needed to disappear- go somewhere, away from here. The city, the country- the continent itself. I had already applied for my college and I was happy with the one I picked- it was the same one the three of us dreamt of going to all together.

When I got accepted, I had gotten a call from nana and she told me she got the letter mail. About a second after she told me, I had received the email myself. Telling me I had gotten accepted.

Levine had wanted to become a fashion designer, Sarah a photographer. I, an artist. Levine was applying to other universities, just to get her degree. She had already began looking more into fashion and her mom definitely knew a thing or two about it. That woman knew how to do anything. 

Sarah's parents luckily stood by her side- a doctor and person who owned their own business of jets? You would expect them to expect her to be either in the medical field or law. Sarah had that in mind though-  but it was not what she wanted in her future. David was going to take over his father's business and pursue his modelling career while he was at it.

Dark wanted to know everything that had to come with saving lives. He didn't know where the hell his future was going but he didn't see himself as any type of doctor. He was studying software engineering. How ironic right?

Angelo was going to take over his father's and mother's firm. Taking over an entire firm/ company was a big deal. It wasn't like you could just go there and know exactly how everything worked. It was hard because I knew that- my dad had no son as his heir and I could not fully pursue exactly what I dreamed of.

Everybody had a bright future.

I just hoped it'd stay that way. At least for a good while, before any storm hits.

***

I remember a year ago, I was still visiting my dad before my graduation- hoping and praying he'd make it.

I had gotten a call from the hospital that had made my heart stop.

"Hello?"

"Hello miss, we're calling from the-"

"Did something happened to my dad? Is he okay? Is he alright- what happened?"

"He has responded miss," I freeze. My lips curling up.  "But," my smile instantly falls. I hated that word.  "unfortunately he had a seizure at 16:02,"

Right after I graduated. "and he fell into an unexpected coma. Ms Williams," the doctor sighs. "the chances of him living are slim. We don't know if he'll actually wake up-" I slowly removed the phone from my ear.

I didn't wanna hear anymore. I didn't. "Goodbye," I whisper through her speaking- hanging up.

Not him.

Not him, God. Not him too.

That night, I fell asleep praying.

Coming back home was less weird. It wasn't even cold anymore, after a year of my dad being in a coma, he came out of it. "Dad, nana! I'm home!" I feel the need to shout.  I walk inside with my hand intertwined with Angelo's. "Pumpkin," I cringe. "Dad please get over that nickname. It's not cute anymore, I swear. I'm like 20 now." I complain as he hugs me.

"Angelo, my boy," he ignores me, giving him a bro hug as our intertwined hands, separate. My father loved Angelo.

Loved.

"How are you doing, son?"

"I'm always doing good sir, especially with her by my side," I smile as he brings me into a side hug. "I'll leave you too alone," my smile widens. He trusted him with me. As I did too. I watch my dad go upstairs, still a little bit cautious about everything he does. Once he fades, I look back at the brown eyed person in front of me, who was already, staring right at me.

"How did I get so lucky?" he blurts out. "You're telling me how you got so lucky?" I raise both my brows. "I don't think you know the affect you have on me-"

Boy if you knew how perfect you were.

I melt at his touch, covering up my stupid blush in his neck. His warm skin not helping at all.

"Why is your skin always so warm?"