Chapter 18; The Reunion

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

King Virat was a gullible old man, who could trust easily.  Without checking for a single spec of deception in the said person's eyes. Without tracing the person's body language. Without any mode of evaluation. He would trust and take everything at face value.

Not the most preferable trait attributed to a king.

Kshatriyas were taught to be suspicious. It came with the responsibility of protecting one's land. Human greed was one indestructible weapon that only ever grew. It was greed that made men lust over power. It was greed that made a brother exile is own kin, just for absolute control. Suspicion was an inevitable jewel that a monarch had to wear on his crown. For protection, for honour, for respect.

"Ah! Kumaar Kanishk. There was a flying rumor from the whispers on the streets of Viratnagar that Dwarka's most famous merchant is visiting our kingdom. I did not believe it was actually the truth! Matsya is pleasured to have you." The king rumbled, sitting on a golden throne, with fine work of a  fish's gills.

The royal court of Viratnagar was tastefully constructed. It was unlike any other. It's striking colours made it appealing to the eyes. A unique thing about the court was that the walls and the pillars were designed like the waves of an ocean. The shades of blue were calming to the eyes. On the center of the hall, right above the Golden fish shaped throne, was a statue of woman studded with heavy gold. Presumably, Goddess Yamuna.

Viratnagar was located at the banks of river Yamuna. Naturally the biggest sum of revenue would come here from the fisheries.  Matsya was famous for its good quality fisheries in all of Bharatvarsh. It was self explanatory why the king had payed such a huge homage to their biggest natural asset.

"Its a my pleasure doing business in your land, sire! Viratnagar is indeed one of the most peaceful places that I have ever encountered."

"I am glad that you have decided to business with us! Let Dwarka know well, what gems does our land possess." The old man dressed in shiny robes laughed. I frowned internally.

"You bring with yourself, a companion! Would you mind introducing us to the lovely woman standing beside you, Kumaar?"

The king smiled towards me. I bowed, folding my hands into a namaskar. Apart from the king's eyes, I could feel another pair on me. Scanning each of my movements, like a hawk. It was suspicious indeed. Naturally as a reflex, I looked at the man. He was a tall man with an even longer beard. A turban made from cotton dyed in the earthen colour of brown. Adorned with heavy silver, his gaze was frowning. The man would definitely be in his late fifties.

"Yes of course, sire! This woman standing in front of you, is Lady Mandakini, Bharatvarsh's most revered musicians. She is from the holy city of Ayodhya. There was a flying word in the air that that the most respected Queen is looking for an able tutor for the lovely Princess. Hence, I requested Lady Mandakini to accompany me here and as you notice, she complied."