Chapter 1; Inception

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

There had been a consistent rise and fall of a twinkling noise in my ears as my demeanour so astoundingly asleep, was starting to gain consciousness. They were sharp anklets engorging in the tiles of my chamber. A stimulating sensation that stirred my senses. I woke up in the morning with the sun shining over my face. The sunshine attacked my eyes like a painful stabbing sensation, as Sanchi my personal maid, and one of my best friends, opened the curtains of my huge palace window.

"Rise and shine, princess." Said she while approaching my bed.
"You know you could be a little gentle with me Sanchi." said I groggily while rubbing my eyes. "Oh please, like you understand gentle!" Said she in a humorous tone. I sighed and shook my head at her frivolous attempt at quality humour. "You're so loud, so early in the morning!" I whined, shutting my ears. "At least speak softly so that my brain can comprehend your presence peacefully!" I added, with a frown, falling back on my cushioned bedding.

It had been twelve years since I shifted with Krishna to Dwarka. twelve years since that incident in Hastinapur tore our family into pieces.

"Now, I've been asked to tell you that after breakfast all members of the royal family are to assemble in the royal court. I'm guessing there's an announcement that their majesties Krishna and Balram are to make, and I guess it should be a big one." She said, excitement clear in her voice. I smiled. I got up from my bed, tugging my white cotton sari that I slept in. "I've put together your sea green silk saree and ornaments. I'm going to arrange your bath. Please hurry princess." She said and left my room. I sighed and looked into my mirror.

I hadn't realised how fast the past twelve years had passed. There wasn't a single day when I didn't miss Maa, Baba, my four uncles, my elder brother Shrutkarma and my four half brothers.

Maa, would certainly whack me hard if I ever called them 'half brothers'.

Our family had always been unique. My mother had five husbands and as rare it would sound, I too had five fathers and five brothers. Of all the early years of my life, I spent very little time with them. They existed in fragments of my dawned childhood memories and the stories that my godfather had told me. He knew my parents like the back of his hands. His vivacious retelling of my parents' and uncles personalities painted a picture in my mind that helped me remember the roots of my existence. Indraprastha.
Dwarka had accepted me. But Indraprastha will always be my home. I will always be the princess of Indraprastha, no matter what.

In the past twelve years, I had learned and expanded my horizons to unlimited heights. I was trained in the art of warfare, philosophy, music, politics  and astronomy. It was wonderful. Dwarka was wonderful. Since the day I was brought here, the people of Dwarka accepted me as there own. They treated me as if I were their own. They gave me so much love, it is unexplainable. I was grateful to everybody. But I still missed Indraprastha,and sometimes I felt guilty about it.