Chapter 23; Shattered glass and a million shining pieces.

R U D R A

R U D R A

There was a burning. A blood curding, sinister, dark, an all consuming burning that usurped my body. As if I was not a man. I was not human. I was not a being. All of what I am, was nothing but destruction. Disgrace? The word seemed too kind. too warm. too wonderful. I was a sharpened arrow left in the embrace of the air and thrown to rupture the earth of its lava.

Lies. The best thing about them is that they are more believable than the truth. Like a constant drug that shields; protects you from your dark deeds...because no shoulders are so well built to carry the burden of your sins.

I was a sin. The existence of my being was a sin.

Then so be it.

A sin is an abomination against the ideal construct of man's morality. A path asway. If I was destined to be an abomination from the very seed and womb of my birth, then so be it.

"Rudra."

"Now is not the best time, Chaitya." I replied to the stiff hand on my shoulder.

"I know. And that is what this soldier promises his general. To be a part of not so best times."

"I am no general, Chaitya. I am no warrior; I am a man who was not supposed to be born. I am a man who has no clue about his essence, a man who's  existence is questionable. I am a man who knows nothing about his own mother. I am a man who was raised by lies and deception." I replied. I could sense Chaitya's discomfort in the soliloquy of my words to him. I could sense him gulp down a weight inside his throat.

"Rudra, You will become what you think you are. It makes no difference in your life. You were destined to be the Prince of Ahichatra. You were destined to be Ashwatthama's son." He replied.

"I was destined to be Ahichatra's prince; not Indraprastha's. Does my father fathom me a fool, Chaitya? Does he think that I am not aware of his ulterior motives? Bhardwaj has been an ambitious clan. He knows that Duryodhana will never come and live in Indraprastha as Hastinapur has a mark on all of Kuru clan's blood. How can I accept slavery? How can I choose to betray Vrinda? HOW CAN I CHOOSE MY BLOOD OVER HER?!"

"Rudra you need to calm down."

I shook my head in disbelief. "I cannot do this, Chaitya. I cannot do this. I cannot betray her like this. I cannot fight over this side. She needs me. She needs my help. More than that; I need her. I need her like fire needs oil, like fishes need the holy water of Ganga, like a warrior needs weapons. I don't care. I need her to keep me stable; now more than ever."