Chapter 22; The Tip of the Iceberg

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

The heat was unbearable. The scorching sun was like a diamond in the sky's crown. Or perhaps a huge chunk of gold that gave it life. Walking past the people studded, bustling marketplace of Viratnagar, I could see the festivities unfold in front of my eyes as I walked past each lane with the royal children of this kingdom dressed in their best attires.

Uttar walked with a frivolous manly demeanor, that seemed a little artificial. Like something he had to do as the only son of his father. His hands were shivering, yet he held his sword with fervor as the future king of Matsya would.

Poor boy.

It was the royals who had their lives scripted even before their birth. A prince was to learn the gruesome ways of battle and a princess was to bear healthy children. There was never a scope for escape. It was a circle that had you trapped, helplessly. You could never ask for a rescue, because you won't be rescued. It was a disgrace to run from battles, as we were all told to face the bull by its horns.

I got a golden chit because of Krishna. There wasn't a man quite like him in this country, more specifically a royal. A man who would fly and let others fly with him. A man who thought it was perfectly fine to let the chains break and run. To cry when sad and to laugh when happy without a thought.

Unfortunately King Virata was far from what image of a man my conscience had perceived and embedded, having stayed with my godfather for almost my entire girlhood.

Uttara on the other hand was happy. Delighted that her anklets got a chance to touch an outer land except the palace grounds. The Queen mother would rarely let her out. The excuses were always how dust and sun were bad for her flawless skin. Beauty was of utmost priority to the Queen. For the richest and the most powerful are allured with mere superficial weapon of a woman's beauty. And the kind of kingdom Matsya was, there would most certainly be a need marital alliance.

Uttara was too important for the Kingdom's growth.

"What's your little brain up to?" I heard a voice. It was my father in the disguise of a woman. Brihanalla had gained the Queen's confidence in the while they had been at her service. My mother's position in her eyes was just that of a lowly maid. She was jealous of her beauty and the grace by which she carried herself. It was hard to convince me otherwise.

"There is someone who I am to meet, today." I confessed.

"Whatever for?"

I sighed. "There is something that has occured in Dwarka, Baba." I replied.

"The Yaduvanshis have proccured a marital alliance with Duryodhana."