Chapter 20; A Man of Madness

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

The royal family of Matsaya was quite a family. King Virat and Queen Sudeshna had two children, Prince Uttar and Princess Uttara. The two were drastically opposite of each other. From the few classes I had commenced with mine and Baba's common 'student', Uttara seemed to be a very polite and a humble girl. She had a great interest in music, but little in dancing. In the first two classes that we shared in the span of two weeks of my stay in Viratnagar, the Princess had already learnt two basic Ragas.

Rudra Veena was a very difficult instrument to master, but I had no doubts that Uttara had proved herself to be a musical prodigy.

Prince Uttar on the other hand was an exorbitantly arrogant lad. He always had a permanent frown embroidered over his slick face. Though a young boy of fourteen, he always behaved like he had already become a man of many battles. It was hilarious to watch him quarrel with his mother over her not sending him to various expeditions with the king.

All things aside, Prince Uttar really loved his sister. Maybe because she was his only truest friend in this entire world. The children of royal families never had the luxury of making many friends. To see them was to revisit the memories I had made with Abhimanyu.

Presently, it was the second prahar of the day and the blazing sun was at its scorching peak. The sound of anklets filled the room. The dance lesson of Brihannala was about to end and sitting there I could see the poor girl panting. I frowned. S he had been dancing for the past two hours. It must have tired her to extreme lengths.

Getting up, I walked towards my father disguised as a woman.

"Brihannala, I think you should give the Princess a break. She is loosing her breath out of exhaustion." I said, smiling.

"But our time is not over yet." Brihannala replied.

"How about you ask head chef Ballav to prepare you a nice lunch, while I teach the Rudra Veena to the Princess? I know you haven't eaten."

Baba eyed me suspiciously and I just nodded at him, signaling him to do so. He complied and left the chamber. I looked at an exhausted Uttara lying on the floor, panting her lungs out.

"Come on, get up now." I smiled, walking towards her, offering my hand for support.

"Mandakini Didi, I really do not have the energy to play the Veena at the moment." She replied in midst of he relentless pants. I crouched on the floor and smiled at her confused face.

"I know, silly. I do not intend to teach you today. Let's go for a walk in the royal gardens." I replied.

"Can we ask Uttar Dada to accompany us?" She asked.

"Of course you can!" I replied. "Meet me near the mango tree, once you get your brother."

Uttara nodded and with new found energy, ran towards her brother's chamber and I laughed.