Chapter 3; The adevnt of Him

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

A dark room. All I could see was a dark room. It was as dark as the night of Amavasya. The darkness was frightening as well as soothing at the same time.
"Where am I?"
Usually such darkness was my friend, my companion in battle, but I didn't know why it was making me feel so vulnerable at the moment. It was silent. So silent that it started to hurt my ears. The place was uncannily familiar. I felt as if I had been here before, but I couldn't remember when.

Suddenly I heard a woman's howl, which killed the screaming silence prevailing and thriving in the darkness.
I slowly walked towards the sound and soon the darkness was subdued by the light of a thousand burning lamps. My gaze slowly fell upon a man, brutally dragging a woman by her long black silky hair. I gasped.

The man pulled the woman by her hair and threw her in front of almost a thousand laughing men. I turned to see familiar figures of five men, sitting on the ground with their heads lowered in shame. I felt my breath hitch.

"Help me! Why are all five of you silent!?, he has had the audacity to touch your wife Panduputras!" The woman screamed. "Why are you all silent!? Kill him!" She screamed in agony. I could feel the fear rising in my veins, after all, the screaming woman was none other than my mother, Draupadi. Once the queen of Indraprastha, now a mere slave.
"Elders of Hastinapur, look what your so-called prince has done to me! Why have all of you covered yourself under the veil of ignorance?! Do something please I beg of you! Please." She begged. Her voice, full of agony was so loud and intense that it could shatter a mirror into a million pieces. Nobody argued back, every single person present in that room was silent.
"Strip her off her clothes, Dushassna for she is now our slave, our property to be used by us, the Kauravas." Yelled a raspy voice. She screamed for help again, trying her best to stop the inevitable. Her voice, being the loudest and the most horrific, danced around the halls.

Then, slowly she turned towards me. Her eyes met mine. Her left eye was blackish-blue and she had small bruises on both her cheeks. Cuts surrounded her face. Her shoulders were brutally scratched and blood was oozing out of her numerous wounds. At the sight of her miserable state, my eyes brimmed with tears. She didn't scream at me, begging for help, rather she smiled. I tried to put an end to my stationary position but I couldn't move. I was physically frozen. I tried to fight it, but I couldn't. She reached her hand towards me as I saw the wretched man approaching her, the kohl smeared eyes of hers were desperate to seek help.

I tried moving my hand towards her, but I was unable to move. No muscle in my body seemed to be under the control of my mind. It was as if I had been tied down by a hundred thousand ropes. As the victim saw her villain approaching, her facial contortion settled for a brutally calm one. Her dark brown eyes were turning crimson with rage, but her voice and expression were unusually calm.