CHAPTER 13

When I went into the apartment Chris was there, and he didn’t look too happy. I sat down at the table not saying a word.. We ate silently and it felt really weird. I could tell he was mad but I didn’t know what to say to make things better. When I finished eating I changed into my work clothes even though I still had some time “I have to go to work. See you later" I said. I couldn’t stay another moment in this silence. "Goodbye. Have a nice day" Chris said as I hurried out of the apartment.

I arrived at work earlier then ever but luckily Jess was there already, and she was healthy. "Good morning Jess! How are you feeling today?" I asked when I saw her. "I’m great! So how was it last night?? How was it being with Aaron?" she was dying to know everything. But how can I start telling her everything now?

"I didn’t go with Aaron. I went with my boyfriend" is that what he is? It doesn’t matter, as long as I won’t need to explain everything to her now. "Wait. What??" she almost yelled and everyone sitting near us turned their heads but she didn’t seem to care. "You have a boyfriend?" here we go. No avoiding this now. So I told her everything. What I told Aaron when he found me crying, what happened yesterday, and how weird it was this morning. Once I started talking I couldn’t stop. It felt so good getting it all out.

"What the hell are you doing with that guy?? Leave him! Why did you go back to him?" she sounded upset. "I love him jess! I can’t just leave him! And he's changed" I said trying to hold back the tears.

"Listen Jen, I love you and I want what’s best for you, that’s why I think you should leave him. He'll end up hurting you. People don’t just change like that." she said while she hugged me "he wont hurt me" I whispered hoping It’s true. I relaxed and both of us went back to work.

The day went very slow but for once I didn’t mind. I was in no rush to get home. I wanted to be with Chris, but if he'd be like he was this morning it would be awful. On my way home I decided I will act as if nothing happened, I hoped it could get us back to normal.

I went into my apartment and called out to Chris. "Hey honey, I’m home" I said as I saw him sitting on the couch. "Hey sweetheart" he said smiling and got up towards me and I went to kiss him. "So how was your day?" he asked. "Just what I was going to ask you" I said laughing. "My day was fine.. Worked on a few cases, the usual.." I said "well that’s good." he said and grabbed me down to sit next to him "so what did you do all day?" I asked again.

"Well I made a few phone calls, and guess what? Rebecca said that you can go back to your old job! And josh also said I can come back anytime. You understand what this means? We can move back to NJ! You don’t have to stay in this hideous city" he said and seemed happy.

But I wasn’t. Is he insane?! He asked for my old job back without asking me? He wants us to move to NJ? I felt as if it was happening all over again and I stood up. "Are you serious?? I thought you said that I was more important than a job!! I like NY! It’s a great place!! I’m not leaving!" i yelled at him.

"Jenny, relax! You don’t need to decide now, but think about it, don’t you want our old life back?" he asked trying to get closer to me but I backed away. "No! It was your life! You never gave me a say in anything! And now you’re doing it again! You’re trying to control my life! You haven’t changed at all! Leave me alone Chris!" I said crying and heading towards my bedroom.

"But Jenny! I love you! We can stay here if it’s so important to you!" he tried getting me back. But I couldn’t take him anymore. "We're over Chris. You never changed and you never will. I will not have you control me again. Leave Chris" I said and went into my room without looking back at him and locked the door.