CHAPTER 39

[Aaron's POV]

3 weeks passed. 3 weeks since I left Jenny. I felt empty. I dedicated myself to the production but I wasn't as happy as I usually was while working. Everyone could tell something was wrong, but whenever anyone asked I just made up some excuse.

No one knew I broke up with Jen except for Robin. When I told her she looked at me as if I was crazy and told me to go back to Jen. I kept on ignoring her whenever she tried bringing it up. I didn't need her advice. I did the right thing, didn't I?

Tonight previews start, and its one week until opening night. I'm excited and nervous to see everyone's reaction. Like always, my parents and I are going out to eat together before the show, and we will again next week. I haven't told them that I broke up with Jen, and they're sure she's coming tonight. I didn't know how to tell them she's not.

I've been trying to avoid anything that has to do with her these past few weeks. I knew if I saw her I'd run back to her even though it was a bad idea. I wasn't sure how she was doing, and I didn't want to know because I'd feel so bad.

"Hey mom" I answered my phone and broke my chain of thoughts. "Hey sweetie. How are you?" my mom asked happily. "Good. A bit nervous as always" I said while standing in my dressing room preparing everything for when I get back from dinner. "You'll do great, don't worry. When are you and jenny getting here? Your dad and I just got to the restaurant" oh god. I don't wat to tell her.

"Actually mom, jenny isn't coming. And I'm just leaving the theater. I'll be there in a few minutes" I said hoping she won't question it too much. "Why isn't she coming? You know what don't answer that yet. Just get here and well talk about it face to face" my mom said. Ok, I have 5 more minutes to try and think how to tell her.

She really liked Jenny even though they saw each other only once. Out of all my girlfriends my mom liked Jenny bet, no question. And now telling her that I broke up with her will make her so sad. I'm not sure I can do it.

Before I knew it I was at the restaurant with my mom. After saying hello to my parents and ordering food I started telling her how I realized my work was so important and I was feeling like I wasn't giving it my all so I broke up with Jen. There were a few minutes of silence until my mother finally spoke.

"Are you happy?" she asked, catching me off guard. I was sure shed yell at me for being stupid. "What? Um I guess? I mean I start previews tonight which is great" I said a bit confused. "Ok, and where you happy with Jen?" my mom continued with the questions. "Of course" I said without even thinking.

"Then why did you breakup with her?" my mom asked. "I told you already" I said getting a little annoyed. "I felt like I wasn't focused enough on the production" I continued. "I know you said that, but" my mom started and I knew I was going to be getting a long speech now.

"You said you were happy with Jen, you didn't even think about it. But when I asked if you're happy now you weren't sure, and you tried changing the subject. Even though you think your job is everything, it's not worth anything if you're not happy. Don't you want to go every night on stage knowing you have someone to go to after? Having someone to share the happiness with? I understand you love what you do, but if you don't have someone you love as much, you don't know what you're missing on, though I'm sure deep down you do know. You've never felt with anyone what you feel about Jen, right?" my mom was right, as always.

"Yes" I mumbled. "Then what are you waiting for?" my mom asked and I looked up confused. "Why don't you go get back with her?" she asked as if it was obvious. "b-because I just. I don't know" I said quietly. "Aaron, tonight after the preview go to her house" my dad said, after sitting quietly all along.

"But-" I started to resist. "No buts. You love her, don't try denying it, it's obvious. I know it's scary, and you never stayed in a relationship for too long, but you 2 are great together. Go and enjoy the show, and when you finish go to her. Next week when its opening night we expect you to bring her along" my father said.

"Ok, I'll try" I said and focused on my food. We finished our meal and walked to the theater and got ready for the preview to start.

[Jen's POV]

It's been 3 weeks. It was hard. I missed Aaron, but it's not like I could do anything about it. I kept myself busy with studying because I knew I couldn't put my life on hold because of a breakup. And the bar was coming up. I was doing well. I finished going over everything and was practicing as much as I could. I had to get used to sitting so long and taking a test without a break.

Today was his first preview. I couldn't help but wonder how it was going. He was so dedicated to the production and I was hoping he would do great. I wish I could go watch him, but I'm not sure how it'll make me react. Maybe after the bar I'll go.

With all this time that I had for myself now I also got to see Jess more often. We decided to go out tonight to distract myself from Aaron and the fact that his first preview is tonight, but of course, conversation always led back to him.

By the time I got home at midnight I was exhausted and just wanted to go sleep. I showered and got into my pajamas, and just as I got into bed I heard a knock on the door. At first I was sure I imagined it, but the knocking didn't stop so I got out of bed to see who came at such an hour.

I opened the door not believing my eyes. In front of me stood Aaron holding lilacs, which is my favorite flower. "Hi" he said and looked like he was going to start crying. "Did I wake you up?" he asked. "No, I was just getting into bed" I said still standing awkwardly at the door.

"Can I please come in? I want to talk if you're willing to" he said and he sounded a bit scared and sad which was adorable. "Um yeah of course" I said and moved from the doorway and locked the door after he came in. we sat in silence on the couch. Both of us wanted to talk, but we just didn't have the right words. Eventually Aaron broke the silence.

"I'm sorry Jennifer" he started. "I made such a stupid mistake" he continued and it looked like he was going to cry. "I thought my job was the best thing in my life, and the most important, but I realized, well my mom knocked some sense into me, and I realized I'm the happiest when I'm with you, and these past weeks have been so had without seeing you, and I made such a big mistake" he was crying by now, and truthfully I also had tears running down my face. "And the most important thing I realized is that I-" he stopped and looked me in the eye before continuing. "I love you Jennifer" he said and I sat there shocked.

Aaron loved me. This must be a dream. But could I trust him again after he broke my heart once? How was he different from Chris? Both though their job was more important than me, who says Aaron won't change his mind again like Chris did?

Sadly, my mouth wasn't synced with my brain and before I could stop myself I replied. "I love you too Aaron" I said even though I was so scared of being hurt again. "Are you serious?" Aaron looked at me and his eyes were full of hope and happiness. "I- yes. But please, don't ever leave me again" I said and started crying, scared of being heartbroken again.

"I'm never letting go of you again" Aaron said as he held me tight and we cried into each other. After we both relaxed we cuddled on the couch, staying quiet and just enjoying each other's company. "How was the preview tonight?" I eventually asked out of curiosity. "It was ok. But I don't really know. I was too busy thinking about coming here after to tell you the truth" he said.

"What? Why? Aaron! I don't want to distract you from your work!" I said. "Don't worry. I wasn't too distracted. It was fine. Really" Aaron said and hugged me tighter. "Ok" I said and stiffened a yawn. "You should sleep sweetheart" Aaron said. "Ok" I said while falling asleep. I felt myself being picked up as my eyes closed.

Aaron put me gently in my bed and turned to leave. "Don't leave me alone again" I said half asleep. "Never" Aaron whispered as he got into bed with me.

Hope you guys enjoyed this. until next time... XOXO