Chapter 1

(Katherine's P.O.V)

The leaves crunched under my feet as I walked home. I'm returning home after a long night shift at a diner about 10 very very long streets away from my place. I know what you guys are thinking.

'Why would a 17 year old girl, who is still in high school, walking home after a night shift at midnight when she should be at home sleeping for school tomorrow?'

Well the thing is, I live by myself in a pretty big house and need to pay the bills, hence the part time job. It's not a big thing;I mean a lot of 17 year olds have part time jobs right? But what's different with me is that I do it because I need the money not only for the bills but also for food, clothes, school things like books, shoes;if a pair of shoes are ruined an you know, those sorts of things. Things that people need and have in their everyday life to basically survive.

Now I know you guys must be wondering:
'Where are her parents?'

Well, to be honest with you, I don' know. You see when I was a baby I was abandoned on someone's doorstep. I never got to know who my real parents were;if I was a missing child;who put me on that doorstep;or i my parents were looking for me, if they loved me. But I'm not really complaining. I mean yes i wonder who my parents were and why did they leave me there, but the thing is, even though I didn't have them I was raised by the most loving and caring couple I ever met.

They loved me so much and gave me anything and everything I wanted;no, I wasn't spoilt (although they ha billions of dollars because dad had a pretty good well-paying job). If I needed something I'd ask them for it but if I didn't really need it I wouldn't, you know, that sort if thing. They'd even complain that I don't ask them for anything and would even take me out just so they could buy me something even if I didn't need anything. They loved me so much and I loved them. They would pick me up when I was down, foxed problems in school that I may have, helped me with my homework and even feed me themselves with a fork sometimes! I know those things may not seem like big things but they are to me. They made me feel loved when I felt like no one ever would.

Sadly, they died in a car accident. I was in the car at the time too. We were driving home from a fancy dinner dad took us to. We were chatting in the car and laughing. I was in the back;dad was driving and mum was in the passenger seat. We were all wearing seat belts at the time but that didn't stop the drunk driver hit our car from the right hand side, making the car turn sideways and roll down a hill. Then everything went black.

I remember waking up once and seeing red and blue flashes of light and people screaming things like:
'We have to get them out of the car!'

'The cars upside down, we'll have to call the emergency rescue squad!'

Then everything went black again. The next thing I remember was I woke up in a white room, my head hurting and a doctor was standing next to me. I was in a coma for almost a week. They started getting worried due to my head injury but were relieved to see me fight the coma off. Throughout the day there was only one thing on my mind, 'where are my parents?'

When I had asked they just gave me a sad smile and said I'd find out soon and they couldn't tell me anything. Next thing I know is around 6pm that evening police inspectors came and told me the bad news. They were gone, actually gone.

"I'm sorry..." was all I heard before crying uncontrollably and wasn't listening to anything they were saying. I couldn't believe it. No! I wouldn't believe it but reality hit me in the face and I knew they were truly gone. The two people in the world, who loved me, cared for me and fed me, were truly gone. A week later they discharged me from the hospital and sent me home with a social worker. I was only 9 at the time.