seventeen

Caspian lie in a bed with a damp cloth draped over his forehead, slightly coming to his senses. He looked up at the ceiling of the room to see what looked like decorations made of acorns and much more natural things. Sitting up and rubbing his head where he had earlier been hit.

"This bread is so stale"

Caspian removed the cloth and continued to listen to the conversation coming from another room.

"I'll just give him some soup. He should be coming around soon"

"I don't think I hit him hard enough"

"Nikabrik he's just a boy"

Said boy got up and moved to stand behind a wall which led to the other room, listening to what the two people had to say.

"He's a Telmarine, not just some lost puppy. You said you were gonna get rid of him"

"No. I said I'd take care of him"

"We can't kill him now. I just bandaged his head...It would be like murdering a guest"

"How do you think his friends are treating their guest?"

"Trumpkin knew what he was doing. It's not the boy's fault"

Caspian tried to make a run for it, throwing the bowl of soup from the Badger's hands. But he was quickly stopped before he could make it any closer to the door by a dwarf throwing a stool in the way of his footing and drawing out his sword. The boy quickly moved back, grabbing a fire poker in the process.

"Stop! Stop!"

Neither of them listened to the badger's demands, instead they started to thrash at eachother.

When they stopped with the fighting the dwarf held his sword towards Caspian "I told you we should've killed him when we had the chance!"

"You know why we can't"

"If we're taking a vote, I'm with him"

Nikabrik shook his head at his badger friend "We can't let him go. He's seen us" the dwarf his the fire poker in the boy's hand, nocking Caspian back to sit on the step behind him.

"Enough Nikabrik! Or do I have to sit on your head again?"

The dwarf's face scrunched up unhappily at his friend's comment.

The badger turned to Caspian who immediately looked at him "And you. Look what you made me do" he picked up the bowl and looked down at the spilt soup with a sombre face "I spent half the morning on that soup" he walked back to the small kitchen area.

Caspian looked over at Nikabrik "What are you?"

"Y'know it's funny that you would ask that" the badger walked further into his kitchen "You think people would know a badger when they saw one"

"No. No, I mean...you're narnians. You're supposed to be extinct"

Nikabrik lowered his sword a little more and ever so slightly shrugged his shoulders "Sorry to disappoint you" before turning around and taking his seat at the small wooden table.

The badger walked over to Caspian holding a small bowl "Here you go. Still hot"

The dwarf shook his head and looked at his friend annoyed "Since when did we open a boarding house for Telmarine soldiers?"

"I'm not a soldier, I am Prince Caspian. The tenth"

The dwarf shook his head at the boy a little "What are you doing here?"

The boy looked down "Running away" he paused and walked over to put the fire poker back in it's little tin amongst other tools and looked at the pair "My Uncle has always wanted my throne I supposed I have only lived this long because he did not have an heir of his own"