chapter thirty six

YOUR POV:

Chloe and I stared at each other while I still stood in her doorway. Aubrey looked between the two of us before her stare lingered longer on me. I could feel her eyes burning into my head but I didn't dare look at her. I was too busy staring at the girl who looked so small and fragile, wearing one of my hoodies, the one with the burnt holes in the cuffs.

Aubrey cleared her throat and dusted her pants off as she stood. She made sure she had her phone and her other belongings before coming to face me, she looked me up and down with a shake of her head, "You're lucky Chloe is a lot nicer than I am."

I broke my gaze away from my girlfriend and towards the blonde woman, "Oh Aubrey, I just really love hearing your opinions. Now can you kindly fuck off."

She stuck up her middle finger and pushed it right in my face before saying goodbye to Chloe and left the dorm. I even shut the door behind her. When I turned back to Chloe I cleared my throat awkwardly before setting the bag of snacks on her bed.

"Guess you're fully stocked up now." I spoke, my palms clamming up.

"Why didn't you answer me when I called you?" She asked me and my heart rate sped up.

My eyes looked away from her for a few seconds, embarrassed to tell her why. Looking back at her I sucked in a breath and told her the truth, "Because I got wasted and my phone died."

Chloe crossed her arms over her chest and shifted on her feet while I just stood there.

"Where were you? You said you and Beca were going to check out the record label."

"We did. We met with the owner and he introduced us to Travis Barker, the drummer for Blink-182. Beca and I got to record the rest of Love Race and when all was said and done, Travis and I exchanged numbers and he invited us to a party."

"And you couldn't think to communicate that with me? Couldn't you have thought to call me and tell me that?" Chloe sniffled, raising her voice a little.

"And what would you have said if I did call?" I asked, becoming defensive.

"You were at that party, wasted, drunk out of your mind living it up like a Rockstar. You were supposed to be with me. You were supposed to be there holding my hand reassuring me and holding me while we went to check for a heartbeat that wasn't there."

"I know I was supposed to be there. I know that. But I'm here right now." I told her.

"Are you here y/n?" The ginger questioned, "Because you don't seem like you wanna be here. You're distracted. You're always busy with music. Writing, producing, mixing. And it's gotten worse since you got this offer."

"So you want me to give up on my dreams? Is that it? How is that fair?"

"I'm not asking you to give up on your dreams! I'm asking you to prioritize differently. You can put both me and your music in the same light. You can have both. But when my best friend, who also has a girlfriend, can make time for me and do things my actual girlfriend should be doing then we have a problem." Chloe ranted off, the tips of her ears becoming red with anger.

"I'm not perfect Chloe. You knew that before you got involved with me." I huffed.

"And I can't believe I trusted the words you said. You'd always be here. You were gonna make this work. Well how are you going to make it work? Because we are falling apart right now."

"You act like you're the only one grieving! That was my child to Chloe. I lost them to."

"Are you grieving?! Because half the time I feel like I don't know what you're feeling."

"I feel like everyone is attacking me. I'm finally getting the chance to live out my dreams and everyone wants to see me fall. I wanted to have it all with you and I know I've made my mistakes, but I'm not perfect. All I can do is try." I sniffled, my eyes welling up with tears and a few managed to slip down my cheeks.

"It gets lonely at the top, y/n. You get this offer and you changed. You don't care about anything unless it's about you. I mean were you even happy to be having this baby?"

"Of course I was! How could you ask that?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Because the dream was always to go to L.A. right? I don't have the luxury of being able to just drop out of college and go after my dreams." She huffed.

"Are you jealous I'm gonna go to L.A. and fall in love with someone other than you? Because that's funny coming from the girl who said that college was just for fun." I shot back at her.

"I shouldn't have tried to fix you. I shouldn't have tried to love you." The ginger frowned and as the last word left her mouth, the last of my heart broke and I could feel myself becoming heartless.

"Then maybe we should just break up. I'm only gonna disappoint you more if I stay." I spat out bitterly.

"All I wanted was you to be there for me. To treat me the way you did when we first started dating. You knew I was in pain. You saw it. You just chose to ignore it."

"I don't know what to say to that." I mumbled.

Chloe shook her head, "You don't need to say anything. We're broken up."

"So that's it then." My shoulders slouched lightly and I straightened myself out.

"Didn't have to be." Chloe croaked.

I clenched my jaw and looked away from her, wiping my hands on my pants before turning on my heel and leaving her dorm. The scent of her lingered on me, clinging to my jacket and filling every pore.

It was over. Just like that. No second chances, no pleading glances or cliche comebacks. I didn't have my sister by my side and now I didn't have Chloe. I was alone and people didn't feel bad for me and why should they. I did this.

I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to be in this building. I didn't want to be on this campus. I had nothing to keep me here. Everything was waiting for me elsewhere. I pulled my phone out and opened my messages with Megan.

Tattooed Hottie ❤️‍🔥: any chance the offer of pizza and movies still stands?

While I waited for her to read my text, I decided to pack up a bag of clothes and grab my charger and anything else I would need before making my way out of the building when my phone buzzed.

Megan 😈: duh. I'm on my way to get you

So I guess this was it, the start of the next chapter of my life.

a/n: thoughts on the chapter? there's gonna be a few more filler chapters before we get into the second book.

thank you for reading! i love you <3