chapter sixty seven

YOUR POV:

I was trying not to breathe in through my mouth. Or my nose for that matter. I hated the smell of hospitals. It smelled clean, but the medical version of clean. Sterile. The freshly mopped and waxed floors made every nurse and doctors pair of Nikes or Sketchers squeak and squeal as they walked.

My leg couldn't stop itself from bouncing up and down, a nervous habit of mine. I was anxious to be back here even if things were completely different this time. Hopefully in the long run too. I couldn't- we couldn't go through that again. Especially little red over there.

Chloe grabbed my hand, her nails raking themselves down the back of my hand and I sucked in a breath in through my nose, internally cringing at the sterile smell. Did I mention how much I hated hospitals? Leaning my head back, I allowed myself to close my eyes for at least a few moments. It wasn't gonna help Chloe any if I was being an anxious wreck.

"Chloe Beale? The doctor will see you now." A woman in her early twenties smiled, escorting us to Chloe's OBGYN. Chloe wasn't pregnant, it was just a checkup and since Dr. DeLuca was a woman she trusted and has been with us this far, here we were.

"Chloe it's so nice to see you! Y/n how are you doing? I'm seeing your name everywhere I go." The Italian woman got up and hugged my girlfriend and then me.

"Well don't be surprised if you read headlines about a hospital visit in the next few days." I rolled my eyes, offering her a smile and hugging her back.

"So, how are things going? You both look very happy so I'll take that as a good sign." Carina smiled warmly, side eyeing me and smirked.

"We're both doing really good. We've been thinking about- well actually we're in the process of trying again." Chloe told her and I squeezed her hand for support.

The doctor's eyebrows shot up in surprise and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"I know it's been a year since... but we both know this time is different." Chloe added on, probably a little uneasy with Carina's surprised face.

Dr. DeLuca giggled a little, "Trying again sounds good. I mean who am I to tell you that you both can't conceive? If you both are ready for this and want it just as bad as last time, I'm happy for the both of you. Now let me do my job and see how mommy is doing."

I smiled at Chloe, squeezing her hand one last time before she got up. Carina checked her over, making sure the oven our future bun was gonna be cooking in, was perfect. And she wanted to make sure there wasn't any tearing in her vaginal area that could cause discomfort. Among other things that were checked, Chloe was in perfect health and happy as could be.

A sigh of relief left me and I felt a little less anxious and the hospital smell wasn't so bad. It made me believe that maybe things really were gonna be okay this time. When everything was all said and done, we said our goodbyes and I opened her car door for her. I sped off, knowing she was hungry without even having to ask. It's like I had spider senses just for her or something.

"I'm-"

"-Hungry? I know, baby." I smiled, turning down the road.

Chloe giggled, "How'd you know? Is my tummy growling loud?"

I laughed, glancing at her with a smile, "No. I'm just good like that."

"You're amazing."

— • —

A WEEK LATER

I need you, I need you,

More than life yeah...